• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal transfer of blu tac

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

Today I yook my sink off for cleaning and the cpu klooked all covered on grease and funny. I looked at the sink and it had a lump of blu tac right where the core goes on the base. I must have stood the sink on it b4 I put it on and never noticed. So that eplains teh extra 10°c i had yesterday. Hehe, anyway now you know to never use blu tac.;)

Was it really blu tac, or was it an exotically colored thermal pad? I think if it were blu tac (is that really how it's spelled?), you would have seen much higher jumps than 10C.

Nah it was definitly blu tac. I had loads on the floor next to where i took the sink off. Plus it just was blu tac. Trust me :D

Haa, yeh it seems like teh kind of thing that might be. you know plastique is great for thermal transfer and you can use it for bridging connections too. Oh wait nooooo

Blue Tac is the stuff you use to hold posters and whatnot to walls, correct?

Yeh thats it. Stickt stuff kind of like chewing gum but blue and stiffer. BTW i chipped the cpu core somewhere along the way as well. Doesnt seem to matter though, still chugging happily away at 2100mhz :D

Ahhhh... Theres a vibration insulator (used to isolate studio montiors) thats big blue and comes in sheets.

Now that I look back on it, blu tac must not be that bad of a conductor. How thick was this lump? I bet if you had a lump of chewing gum or some other material it could not ahve conducted well enough to keep the temperature at only 10C higher. Then again, vegemite works better than Arctic Silver until it dries out... Does blu tac dry out? What's the primary liquid in it?

Hehe, we should start a team to test the thermal transfer properties of various stuff around the house, just for kicks. If it was a pretty thick lump then I don't think that Blue Tac is actually that bad, because even ASIII really thick will do bad things to your temps.

Well it was fairly thick to start off but the clamp is really tight and blu tac gets super soft when it heats up so it ended up like a 2 mm layer. I dont know what the primary liquid is but I am pretty sure its an oil. It kind of mixed with the thermal grease as well so that must have helped.

Now that I look back on it, blu tac must not be that bad of a conductor. How thick was this lump? I bet if you had a lump of chewing gum or some other material it could not ahve conducted well enough to keep the temperature at only 10C higher. Then again, vegemite works better than Arctic Silver until it dries out... Does blu tac dry out? What's the primary liquid in it?
AAAAHHHH!!!!! vegemite cant stand that stuff, its gross, all of my cousins in Australia like it but i grew up in America and tried it and hated it.

Anyway back to something more germane. Did you say that the blu-tac was around 2mm thick? Thats really thick and for it to be able to conduct heat relatively well is just amazing, but have you tried to see wether its viscosity becomes really low, or does it stay the consistency of clay. You may be able to use this to attach a heatsink to a south bridge, by putting it on the corners of the chip and using a thermal paste in the center. Oh well just an idea.

xb-70

Well I cant say it was 2mm thick for definite because it kind of stretched when I took off the sink. It definitely gets runnier with heat but I know from fooling with lighters that when it gets tooo hot it oxidises and turns to powder, though I cant be sure it would get that hot or have enough oxygen under a sink. I think if you used a small enough amount you could use it for a southbridge heatsink but nothing you want to be firmly attached. It does ghet softer with heat so it would fall off. It basically gets softer but a lot stickier as it warms up. Like a marshmallow is all I can think of.

*edit*
I hate vegemite too, its the devils work. Noone even knows what it is so I dont know how they can eat it.

Back