• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does this REALLY WORK??!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes it does work. It is pretty much a pre-made duct. The point of it is to get fresh air from outside the case onto your CPU instead of the already semi-warm air inside your case on the CPU. Should lower ur temps a few degrees.

most people get pretty good gains in cooling when they duct their cpu stuff. I would say make your own and see if you see any difference...

I tried the dryer hose from Wal-mart just to try out the theory and it didn't work all that well. The benefit you get from the ducting is reduced (in my case) by the fact that the fan has to work harder to get the air to itself.

The best way to duct your case is to put a rigid duct in the side of your case to your heat sink. This way you get all of the benefit and none of the drawbacks.

Unless you are like me and are unable to do this because Chieftec decided to put that darn handle right over the heat sink. Right now the side of my case has cardboard over it with a duct cut into it (ghetto, I know). But it works! Dropped my cpu temps by about 6C. Not too bad if you don't have pride ;)

Not to worry though, my water cooling setup is in the works and then I can put the door back on.

Yeah, it can definitally give you benefits if done right. However, $17 seems a little pricy, you could probably just got to the hardware store and get the stuff for cheaper.
I've also seen people buy very long hoses and run them out a window or stuff like that, which works pretty well if you have a good fan.

I think having a fan blowing in over your board from the side give the same effect as that ducting, maybe even better since the NB and RAM get fresh air too.

I had a duct made of dryer piping and when I removed it my temps are still the same. Putting a 120mm fan in the side of my case did drop me 5C though...the duct didn't add any benefit.

I say skip

What the duct does is it will bring the CPU the coolest air possible. This means that all the hot air from the Drives, RAM, and VIdeo Card do not get drawn through the CPU. The duct is only for people who have high case temps or those who want every ounce out of air cooling. You could also get better case cooling and not have to buy it. But any way you choose to go you shouuld be very happy with the results. There is always a direct relationship between the case temp and CPU temp when using non-ducted air cooling.

Thank You,
Daniel

There are a few cases that come with a rigid duct. I recently bought one off of newegg. If you are interested I can provide a link.

I'm gonna be buying this duct kit in a week or so. Hopefully it'll help cut the noise of my system down since I'll be able to slow down all my case fans to <20 db each except the one supplying air to the cpu duct. It should help muffle the noise of the CPU fan also. I'll post some results if anyone wants them after I get it.

I still say make your own and see if you like it. You can get the stuff from homedepot for like 4 bucks. Id rather chance $4 than $20...

Serraph said:
I'm gonna be buying this duct kit in a week or so. Hopefully it'll help cut the noise of my system down since I'll be able to slow down all my case fans to <20 db each except the one supplying air to the cpu duct. It should help muffle the noise of the CPU fan also. I'll post some results if anyone wants them after I get it.
I would be interested in before and after results.

nauqneyugn said:
I think in practice, its doesn't work that well.

Simply untrue. Works great. May work worse or equal if you have excellent case airflow. As for the rest of us that like to USE the computer more than tweak it with the perfect case airflow, it'll do a lot of good.

well i did a custom one. bought a 3in x 8ft aluminum dryer duct from Lowes. ALl i did was make the shape i want and duck tape the crap outta it. I did get cooler degrees, from like 33.5 C to 30 C. w/ 55cfm smart case fan. But overall, it looks like crap in my case. I have a chieftec x-pider so the side fan is under the cpu area and the duct hits the radeon card. So i had to use the intake fan from the front of the case, which made it extra long. The longer the vent, the lesser the airflow performance. My roomate did the same mod on his Xaser III case and the it gave him 4 degrees cooler and his intake fan is right on the CPU hsf so it was just a straight pipe to the cpu. So it depends, but it did cool it down a tad, but not enough to make me realize how ugly the pipe looks in my case lol. peace

RE: duct from outside ...

custom90gt said:
I still say make your own and see if you like it. You can get the stuff from homedepot for like 4 bucks. Id rather chance $4 than $20...

I'm with custom90gt on this one.
Home Depot has a lot of useful 'puter modding supplies
if you look around. "Duster in a Can" is cheaper there than
at either Best Buy or Office DEpot right down the street.

Posidon42 said:
The best way to duct your case is to put a rigid duct in the side of your case to your heat sink. This way you get all of the benefit and none of the drawbacks.

That would be my assessment as well. :)
If your case side permits, a short duct from the side fan
to the heatsink would be a very simple & effective mod.

Back