• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fellow P4c800E owners how stable is your vcore? Do I have a bad board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jclark

Registered
I have what I consider, 2 serious problems with my P4c800ED motherboard.

1) Vcore varies significantly with processor load :
DATA: Bios set @ 1.725 v
No load Vcore reading = 1.73-1.74 (Asus Probe {AP})
Prime95 running, Vcore = 1.6-1.58 (AP)

That’s a nominal 130-140 mv drop, which I don’t think is acceptable. The results are basically the same regardless of measurement tool ( eg MBM) of CPU stress program. I have owned many ASUS boards & this is the only one that does this.
I fear this may be a HW or design issues.

2) The Vcore set point (eg 1.725) changes back to the Bios default value of 1.50 when coming out of sleep mode,
i.e. System up, no load Vcore reading 1.72 > Go to sleep mode > then wake up, and Vcore is now at 1.50V.
Restarting the computer (warm or cold start) restores the correct Vcore setting. Also, going into & out of Hibernate mode works properly (e.g. Vcore remains at 1.725).
I suspect this could be a Bios bug, but it could be a HW problem related to #1.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

SYSTEM details:
System:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, P4 2.6 @3.5G, OCZ PC4000 512MB RAM
2x WD 36G S-ATA in bootable RAID 0 configuration
WD2000 IDE, PlexWriter 52x, ZIP 750
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128
Case Lian-li PC76 with 8 fans

Ununquadium114

What Vcore voltage are you running?
Do you have any problem using sleep mode?

P4P800 does the same thing. I have never experienced the standby problem, but mine drops from 1.7 idle to 1.575 under load. I haven't had any stability issues, so I just ignore it at this point.

I do think Asus should address the problem though. With a stable vcore, I know we could get much more performance out of our systems.

I have the same problem. 1.625 in bios, falls to 1.52ish under full load.

I have the antec true control 550 watt PS, this gives me direct and seperate controls for the 12,5, and 3.3V rails, so I'm pretty sure this is a mobo issue and not a cheap PS issue.

Now, my CPU doesn't seem to be my problem, my issue is ram, wish I could see the ram voltages under full load ....

Same here, vCore drops r us, even with 550w PSU....

I have rigged up a multimeter to the RAM Mosfet as I have done the vDIMM mod to my P4C-800E DLX using SMD grabbers.....I seem to remember it does drop slightly under load but not as much as vCore. If you are really interested let me know and I will post pics of the mod/reading point and accurate readings of VDIMM.....

Back