• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some info on this product....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El-Scotto

Is the Koolance EXOS any good? Im very new to wc. I can use this with a mid tower case correct? If so are there any other better products out there like this ( better as in price/performance...not just price :p).

Well any help is appreciated :)!!!

The kits that are better price performance are any one you put together yourself.

However, this unit is not a bad performer as en entry level w/c system. Its price performance seems pretty good. Browsing around at any of the popular cooling sites and you can piece together a much better performing system for about the same price. If you're handy you can make a system that will probabally beat the koolance for about $100. But not everyone wants to fool around with stuff or mod their case.

If you want a complete system i'd also look into corsairs hydrocool although thats an external box and not attached to the computer.

Oh, yeah - Welcome to the forums!!!

overclockers.com cooling rankings - usefull when comparing systems / parts

Last edited:
well since im new im not really sure what I am doing :p

The case I would like to use in Xoxide Blue X-Dreamer (http://xoxide.com/bluexdreamer.html) or perhaps if its not possible to use that I was also thinking about the CoolerMaster Wave Master...
But like I said what are the external options for Water Cooling?

Thanks for the welcome and the info. :)

Just another question or two :p
With those cases that I mentioned above is this the best way to go about Water cooling them? With these external kits I mean.

I suggest researching/studying some more and building a watercooling setup of your own. Danger Den and D-Tek are two manufacturers that make good waterblocks and have good components available as well as complete kits.
These will be more difficult (read: "rewarding") to install, but the performance will be top-notch. That is, if you don't screw the whole thing up!
I have never installed a water-cooling setup myself, but I feel that I could do a fine job on one. Just look at some of the photos and descriptions here in the "water-cooling" section and figure it out.

By the by, I think the most delicate part of water-cooling know-how is knowing precisely which liquid additives to use.

many people have created external "fan boxes" in which they install the radiator in a box with fans drawing air through it. It is not that hard. The advantage is that you are not injectting the heat from the cpu into the case (as is the most common rad mount) or using warm air from the case to cool the radiator.

Ok I understand that :)

So now last question before I start researching parts and whatnot...do you think building one of these is the best, price and performance wise? Im hoping it will be cheaper than things like the EXOS but I guess I will find out soon enough :)

Thanks again everyone for all the info so far!!!! :)

ryuen said:
senfu and koolance are very acceptable for new people. but please its buying a neon for your car or a toyota echo. its a disgrace to your family.

at least buy this camery:

Originally Giblet Plus!
I would stay away from Koolance kits if you are interested in performance. You will get temps higher than with good aircooling.

You can build a custom setup for the same amount of money that will run at least 10C cooler:

Case:
Turbolink case from www.buyxtremegear.com
$50 shipped - exact same as the PC2-601BW one

Waterblock:
Dtekcustoms.com White Water
$65

Radiator:
Chevy Chevette core (sized for one 120mm fan) or
Chevy Caprice core from 1972-75 models (sized for two 120s)
$20-$30

Fans:
120x38mm is preferable
$6-$24 for 1-2

Shroud:
Make yourself, or use Gladware containers
$2-$10

Pump:
Danner Mag 3
$45

Tubing:
PVC Chemical Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD from www.mcmaster.com
10' for $6.65

Hose clamps:
Buy at least 10 - about $5

Run distilled water with about an ounce of antifreeze.

Visit the watercooling forum to find out more.

:D my .02

edit: o just read the external part thingy. corsair is very good. you can build your own but it might be comlplicated since you are new. you better get comfortable with regular water cooling first or just buy a corsair.

good luck

is there any articles on modding things like this so it can be external?

ok el scotto i would suggect if your new to w/c then just do what i did go out and buy the koolance case with the w/c setup built in it made it very easy and no modding was neded either

eh im pretty set on learning how to do this, i think the more challenging it is the more fun and rewarding it will be :D I'm not going to be buying or touching anything for awhile, until i know whats good and I am doing.

bump :D

That is a very good attitude to have. The more research and planning you put into a watercooling project, the closer it will be to your desired outcome. You could build a system to run quiter than the exos and perform better. Running a custom setup as an external unit would be as easy as routing in / out hoses to the cpu out the back / side / bottom / top / wherever of the case and into a housing for rads and pump. IF you do build a radiator box for external cooling you could either go with a single heater core, or two. Maybe one fan per core, maybe two. Its all up to you how far you want to take it. But for $200, you could build a system that would kill the koolance. Or you could go a grade lower on each part and kill it in price and still probabally kick its temps around.

The only disadvantages to the external units are more hosing (more resistance to the pump, ie lower flow from your pump) and the fact that you have an exposed tube that could get damaged.

Last edited:
Will it being external effect the temps greatly as opposed to an internal unit?

will 2 pumps be able to overcome the resistance? also I was thinking about doing the bong style res. is that a good/bad/does matter idea for an external set up?
So far I've been hearing good things about White Water and Ehiem. As for the case I think I am going to go with the Blue X-Dreamer (linked above).

Thanks all again for your help :D
*edit*
ack I am not sure if I forgot to mention this before but I am trying to make this a quiet system also, is external cooling loud?will the pumps make a lot of noise?

Last edited:
Back