• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cheap solution...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman_sam81

I just put a BBA 9800 Pro in my rig. I love the card and all, but it seemed to raise my temps quite a bit! With my BBA 8500 64MB card in, I had (depending on ambient) somewhere between 26-34 C for both CPU and motherboard at idle; and (depending on ambient) somewhere between 38-42 (motherboard)/40-45 (CPU) while Folding. Once I added the 9800 Pro, I noticed my "While Folding" (100% load) temps go to, roughly 42-46 (Motherboard) and 44-50 (CPU). I actually saw the CPU go as high as 52, but that was only because I, for fun, OC'd a little more than the norm. :D

So, this was a problem. A P4 running as high as 50/52 C = NOT good!

What did I do? Something extremely easy...not to mention cheap (About $10...I could have gotten it for less if I had tried/had the patience). I put one of these in:

298588_f.gif

I have it set up in the PCI slot DIRECTLY underneath the 9800 Pro. Since ATI decided to go with a hs/f setup where the fan is actually blowing AWAY from the hs, it works out nicely! In fact, the only reason I tried it was due to the fact that the fan is blowing "outward". The opening for the "blower fan" is actually only directly beneath about half of the heatsink on the GPU and I had to make sure the blower sagged down a bit, as opposed to being perfectly straight when I tightened down the screw (I wasn't paying attention at first and heard a really ugly sound when I powered up my computer.....the fan "grinding" against the top of the blower!).

However, my 100% load temps seem to be reading as follows (again, this will vary with ambient):

motherboard = 41 C atm.
CPU = 42 C atm.

In the very short amount of time it took to reboot, the CPU temp dropped down to either 32 or 34...I'm pretty sure it was 34 though. The mobo temp didn't make as drastic of a drop...I didn't expect EITHER of them to...so I was happy.

All in all, it was a $10 I concider well spent!

Edit*: Actually, to be honest, I already had the blower in the case...Only, for some stupid reason that I can't remember right now, I had it in one of the bottom two PCI spots.

Two years ago when I built my first computer I got one of those. I am not using it because it does not fit well in my case so it is in the un-overclocked quite family computer.

Thank You,
Daniel

Yeh i think those system coolers are under-rated

I have one which i ripped the fan out of and just used the casing as a duct for my gfx card fan. fx5800ultra Styleee:D

Back