• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have to cut the bridges to unlock an XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

I am working on unlocking my XP. I filled in the gaps with some white paste thermal epoxy and then I cut really thin strips of alumnium foil and put them in a row on a piece of tape and then I put the piece of tape on the L1 bridges. The only reason I am doing it this way is because I do not what to buy anything unless I need to. But is it crucial that I cut the bridges before?

Thank You,
Daniel

depending on the processor and motherboard, you don't need to do anything. There are a lot of other posts on this subject to just do some research. For instance the 1700+ with the TbredB core is unlocked from the factory. You just have to have a motherboard that supports using all of the multipliers. My A7N8X will adjust up to 12.5 but my NF-7 will use all of them.

Good luck.

I have 1700+ but it is a Palomino. But it was letting me change the multiplier in BIOS but it was not showing up when I would test it using Sisoft Sandra.

Thank You,
Daniel

Last edited:
There are three different 1700+s.

How can you tell? CODES! click here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237

Both Thoroughbred A and B are factory unlocked. Only 1700+ Palominos are not. Also, one of the CPUs that overclocks furthest is the 1700+ T-Bred B.

Guess what? It's $49 no tax and free shipping which is why it's hardly worth it to mess with unlocking the Palomino or to buy any other CPU. The T-Bred B overclocks 300 MHz further on average than T-Bred A, and it overclocks much more than that when compared to a Palomino.

Your time and frustration is worth more than $49, get this thing & cruise to 3000+ speeds with proper equipment: http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267

Palomino's are not factory unlocked. I think -It's been awhile- if all the L1 bridges are closed that will unlock all the multipliers. Search the forums or net for a guide. There are hundreds of them.

Thank You to all. I have had this CPU for two years so maybe I will retire it and save it for a folding only machine. As soon as I get some more money, about 2-3 weeks I will think more seriusly abouting getting it. But maybe I should replace my KG7-RAID and my GeForce2Ti at the same time.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back