• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shtweazel

Registered
I currently use VIA hardware monitor to look at temps. I have sandra as well. There is a big difference in what the reported temps are in those two programs. Which one should I trust, or is there another program out there that is better?

I normly trust the program that is closest to what the bios tells you. The cpu should run a few Cs hotter in windows tho so take that into account.

Try MBM5 as it works fine and shows correct temps for 99% of people

Motherboard Monitor 5 can be found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com

I have found that MBM5, if configured correctly on a board with good on-die sensor support, will produce the most accurate results.

OK, MBM5 tells me my case is at 24C and my CPU is at 30C. VIA's temp monitor is saying my CPU is at 42C!!! Why such a drastic difference?!?!? Should I believe that this XP2100 running at 2200 MHz is at only 30C? My voltage is set at 1.825.

trust NO software for heat monitoring.
they read from the motherboard bios, which is known to also be
non-accurate (even if only by a few degrees in some cases)
the best solution, which of course isnt 100% either, but closer,
is to slap a thermal probe as close to the actual die as you can.
i have personally witnessed a 15 degree difference from what the bios reports, to a thermal probe.
that said, mbm is a damn fine program, for more then just cpu temp monitoring.
hook yourself up with a compunurse or something, youll be glad you did.

cheers!

shtweazel - the 42c is right unless u have a very nice cooling setup there ;) with that V and Overclock its unlikely u have 30c :(

[BBE]Jimbob said:
shtweazel - the 42c is right unless u have a very nice cooling setup there ;) with that V and Overclock its unlikely u have 30c :(

That's what I suspect. Next question then: is 45C under load excessive?

no, 45 load is fine. Probably you will be stable up to 50 or 55.

As has been said, software temp monitoring sucks. Even thermal probes suck - to be accurate, they would need to be inside your CPU core (not just on top of the center of it). Using a thermal probe next to your CPU core is like taking your temperature by holding the thermometer up to the outside of your cheek.

which sensor should be used in MBM5, there is winbond 1 2 and 3 and there is a diode and some number for each of those. Which sensor specifically is for CPU which is for case, and what the heck is the other one for? The reason I ask is when i use just the plain sensor, with no fancy name at the end, i get what seem like normal computer temperatures, but when i set it to diode or the one with the number i get 127 degrees Celcius! I know no processor can run that fast, but what is up with the funky numbers? Thanks.

Cyberwiz01 said:
which sensor should be used in MBM5, there is winbond 1 2 and 3 and there is a diode and some number for each of those. Which sensor specifically is for CPU which is for case, and what the heck is the other one for? The reason I ask is when i use just the plain sensor, with no fancy name at the end, i get what seem like normal computer temperatures, but when i set it to diode or the one with the number i get 127 degrees Celcius! I know no processor can run that fast, but what is up with the funky numbers? Thanks.

The correct sensor depends on your hardware... There is a list of which sensors to use for a given motherboard that is maintained at the MBM site but it is not all-inclusive.

When the settings are incorrect with MBM, the 127C reading is common. It is what the program reads when it does not get any input from the sensor it is configured for.

Ignore the 127.

Try different sensors until you find one that is around where a CPU temp should be (40-60 under load). The next highest should be your NB temp or MB temp, and if there is a third is it most likely an ambient temp (or at least a temp away from heat on your motherboard - system temp).

MBM5 can take a while to set up, but once done is invaluable for all the information it provides and the small space it provides it in.

One tip - don't use VUM meter display; digital text is much easier to read and interpret.

shtweazel said:
I currently use VIA hardware monitor to look at temps. I have sandra as well. There is a big difference in what the reported temps are in those two programs. Which one should I trust, or is there another program out there that is better?

I used a KT7A - RAID rev. 1.2 for the longest time & found that the VIA Hardware Monitor on the CD that came with the MoBo was the most accurate.

Back