• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What exactly is a "Y" chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Ok. I'm beating my brains out trying to figure out exactly what makes a Barton 2500+ a "Y" chip. I look at the stepping codes and I don't see a "Y" anywhere. Cathar and a couple of other people over at OCAU have these chips and are getting insane overclocks. Like Cathars 2500+ @2.835GHz on room temp water.

Here's what I've found, but it really doesn't answer my question. Linky Linky

Last edited:
Ummm "Y" Is from WAY back in palimino days. There aren't any tbred or barton "Y" to my knowledge... maybe a code encorporating "Y" though.

Ummm "Y" Is from WAY back in palimino days. There aren't any tbred or barton "Y" to my knowledge... maybe a code encorporating "Y" though.

Yes, I realize this, hence the question.

Several well respected people are calling a several Barton steppings "Y" and I want to know why they are calling them that, and how to distinguish them from other steppings. They appear to be awsome overclockers and I want one. I can't get one if I don't know what i'm looking for.

What is the binomial nomenclature of a "Y" as I've seen AQXEA's and AQUCA's called "Y"'s

Check out the links in the first post.

In the old days there were the Tbirds and Palominos, on which the best overclockers had Y as the first cahr on the 3rd row. Now they propably just calling them that because the're getting crazy OCs with those chips. That's just MHO

In the old days there were the Tbirds and Palominos, on which the best overclockers had Y as the first cahr on the 3rd row. Now they propably just calling them that because the're getting crazy OCs with those chips. That's just MHO

Ahhh... That makes sense. But how can we be sure?

wow, 2.7 w/o heatsink? crazy.

Picture was taken with computer OFF and WB removed.

Y chips are chips with the letter Y in the third letter of the Stepping.. AQYEA

the first bartons were AQUCA
then they made AQXDA which is what i have
followed by AQXEA

and now i see ppl with AQYEA and AQZEA chips

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+ AQXEA 0330 RPMW "Y" chip <--- now sold to Cathar!
quote from anthony256 sig @ OCAU

I've scrutinized the post(s) over and over, and the best I can tell is the stepping would be something like this:

AXDA2500KV4D "Y"861397240195
AQXEA 0322XPMW

Last edited:
that would be correct. however i think with all tbred and bartons the third line, where you have the y pictured is all numbers. at least on all my chips its that way.

Just got confirmation from an owner of one of these chips,that indead the stepping looks like this:

AXDA2500KV4D "Y"861397240195
AQXEA 0322XPMW

Now I just have to find one. They sound very rare. Time to get on the phone.

Y is in the processor code. My Barton's is:
AXDA2500DKV4D "Y"864937200242 AQXEA0330VPMW

They also come with a "4" or a "9" in the code. From what I have learned these generally are not as good overclockers as the Y's. YMMV though. I got mine here.

HA! So I'm not insane!

krose,

Have you taken a look at the OCAU links yet? It looks like these "Y"'s are insane! What kind of MOBO/cooling do you have? Keep us updated.

Uber,

I checked the OCAU links. I don't remember where I read about the Y chips. I definately remember reading that the 4 and 9 chips were not as good. I have added my sig. I have not tried anything higher because the room gets pretty warm in the summer even with central AC and my temps are high enough while folding. I just finished lapping an SLK800 that I am going to install soon. With cooler fall temps and a couple of degrees with the SLK800 I hope to get to 220-225 FSB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. At first I didn't realize they guaranteed that stepping. I even called to make sure. The dude promised, so I ordered one.

Oh yeah...
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I've had to of these "Y" chips
AXDA2500KV4D Y864917260873 AQXEA 0330 VPMW
AXDA2500KV4D Y864717200763 AQXEA 0330 VPMW

@stock vcore it would do 2.3GHz (11.5x200) jacking up the vcore abit to 1.75, both would do 2.4GHz. I didn't have time to put it thru some stress tests 'cause I was only running them on 200FSB nforce2 boards from Soltek. both of these cpu's came from NEWEGG.com

Thanks for the welcome. I've been visiting this site a lot and learning. I'm glad I could finally contribute.

@stock vcore it would do 2.3GHz (11.5x200) jacking up the vcore abit to 1.75, both would do 2.4GHz. I didn't have time to put it thru some stress tests 'cause I was only running them on 200FSB nforce2 boards from Soltek. both of these cpu's came from NEWEGG.com

That's kind of a bummer. These chips have really been hyped up. (probably to myself in my head)

I just ordered that same stepping from gameve.com. Oh well, 2.4 @ 1.75 ain't too shaby, it's taking 1.9 for me to do that with my current 2500. Lets see what she can do with 2+ volts. hehehe

2.3GHz=Bummer? why? I was only using the stock heatsink that came with those cpu's, since it was retail. Those 2 cpu's went into custom systems for a couple of clients that ordered customized rigs from me... Dare Isay if I was owning them, put them on my NF7-S wth the SLK-900u w/eardrumbusting fan(92mm) I would of definately hit 2.45-2.5GHz on this mobo, with enough time to test and burn those in.
All depends on what realistic goal you can set for yourself and keep in mind that not everyones system rig is running in the same environment as yours would. All variables come into play, so what might work for me @2.4GHz, might work 4 you @ 2.5GHz or vice versa. I also have 2 xp1800 DLT3C's that do 2.4GHz with about 1.8v and 1.775v... on my personal test bed mobo (FIC AN19-E) Getting 400MHz oc on any xp tbred or Barton is a major success. Don't fool yourself into believing that because some AQXEA's reaches 2.5GHz, all of them will. Been burned out testing AMD cpu's to only realized that my limitations are set within my own rig's set up. For the amount of $$ spent on cooling, pwr supply, HighQuality Mem Modules, Fans, etc... you start to realize that maybe more isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Just me 2cents worth :)

Back