• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD 64's... kind of....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It seems kind of pointless. Sure they are calling them XP but they wont work on existing XP compatible motherboards.Why bother upgrading to a whole new motherboard and then not getting a proper Athlon64?

256kb cache, no 64 bit operating mode, 130nm, slow mhz, slightly better ipc, single channel, expensive as hell. I think I might go intel for a while, until the athlon fx.

Last edited:
Tyranos said:
256kb cache, no 64 bit operating mode, 130nm, slow mhz, slightly better ipc, single channel, expensive as hell. I think I might go intel for a while, until the athlon fx.

Me too! I think AMD is shooting its self in the foot.

somehow I don't believe that AMD will have AthlonXP on 2 platforms. We know that the current XPs will go to 90µm process as AMD just prolly wants to perfect its fabrication on the existing stable, mature core, just like they did w/ the K6-2/3+s and the SocketA platform will go on. I don't think its time to go Intel just yet. Wait and see what happens. Although I'm not sure what they're thinking of (AMD) I hope they do the right thing and stick w/ SocketA for lower-end Market and all the 64s and Opterons for the HIGHEST-End market

Back