• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ Watercool OC: Still has potential!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

Well after a week of running my new watercooler, my Barton2500+ is still running at 11x210 (2310MHz) on stock voltage on my Epox 8RDA+.

I tried going to 217 fsb, but when it froze running prime95, i knew it wasn't good. I'm still running the 1.65V stock, and I was wondering what the potential for this chip is if I increase the voltage? How high have some people taken the voltage of the 2500? I would like to get to 2.5 GHz at least.

you might have to bump up the volts a step at a time to get stable boot up to windows, however, this will not gaurantee true stablized cpu/mem... run some stress tests on that once you've made it to 2.4-2.450-2.475, then 2.5Ghz. as long your temps are within range during load times, you shouldn't have to much trouble getting to 2.4GHz... Burn in the proc for a bit, which is insane at times, but the payoffs are incredible.... prime95 it, and if it's not passing that, try some others that have been mentioned here before.

MY water rig doesn't go higher than 43 right now.

The whole burn in process kind of makes me jittery.. I have no experience with that.. To me, burning in is an option in SiSoft that I don't use.

Anyone got some info on a good way to do it right?

depends on his rig, if he's been anotating all the things that make his rig stable, those would include his idle and load temps.
that would be a given range for his system. if his rig starts to reboot or freeze, then looking at his temps might help determine if his can handle that temp thru his cooling. (mho)

Mine runs @ 54c idle, 61c load when i'm running grafics/folding@home. 2.535GHz @1.95v

I've anotated for my rig that once I've reached over 63c, on my proc, then things start to get a bit hairy.... for my aircooled cpu, that's seems to be my range... 32c @ idle default vcore,
54c @ idle max vcore (anything above 1.95v then it tears a new assss on my cpu.)

goto the forums on memory, they've got the best tips and links to proggys for you to use. Time and patience is the key to successfully OC'ing these untamed beasts.

Right now I have 36C idle and 43C load (Prime95 or mucho gaming).

but you've stated that you're on default vcore, so it's without much thinking that if you want to tune into the higher GHz (2.4-2.5) you will have to increase volts which inturn will increase your temps very quickly.

Ya, that's pretty obvious. :rolleyes:

SO, what are some of the speeds that people have achieved with the 2500?

i'm not to sure, I never saw what week you 2500 was... stepping AQXEA but no mention of week produced. (0322/0310/0301/etc..)

if it's recently, 0330/0322, you may be able to hit the high 2.4GHz... short of 2.5GHz, but all depends how you burn-in your proc.

Hmmm.. I don't know, I'm asuming it's written only on the chip so I'd have to take off the WB to find out right?

most likely but I mean why do that now? I don't know how much trouble it would be for you to do that, but it's your rig.
My rule I follow, if it's working and not leaking.... Don't touch it, unless I'm upgrading proc or cleaning out the wc system.

your call.

HA! I'm with ya on that. Once I finished building the damn thing I said no way! I'm not going back in there.. If it works, leave it alone. :)

cool, now when you get a chance, start upping the vcore to get 2 ur stable max OC... let us know how far you got and how stable you got it to. Good luck man.

I dont believe in burning in, I had a 1600, and after so-called burning in I lost 75mhz off my OC. Voltage is bad. Still, for overclocking purposes voltage is good, as long as you can afford a new chip.

when did you purchase that 1600? was it a Tbred b? or a? or the Palymino?
Not everyone agrees with burning in... Some don't have the patience for it, some want instant results thus *******g about why the cpu keeps crashing when playing intensive 3D games or locking up on SETI or Folding... either way, your results depends on your preparation for OC that particular CPU.

those seem like hight temps for water cooling if you ask me, i'm air cooled and don't see those temps, plus i use 1.850vcore

of course, i use a different chip(athlonxp 2700+), but that still seems warm

in all honesty, the only time my temps under load are under 43c is when i drop the vcore all the way to stock of 1.650, and even then under load it reaches 41c

so i say, up the vcore a notch or two, and see if the temps change, they might be 43c due to your ambient temps

but like others have said before me, i'd stay under 60c

Anyone know how well the AQYEA 0330s do? Most people I see use the AQXEA. It baffles me that I have yet to see a person post with this stepping....

As for your memory, you might want to loosen the timings a bit more, unless your content on having 6-3-3-2. Otherwise, I'm taking a wild guess, but your motherboard might be holding back your FSB. I heard there are issues with lots of the older mobos trying to reach high FSB.

I've heard very good thing about the "Y" stepping. Supposedly cathar is having very good results, but i haven't personally read the threads. The reason you haven't seen many posts about them is that there just isn't that many out there yet. Most people have X steppings. (like me) Oh what i'd do for a "Y"

Back