• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor usage when in bios question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks, i figured that and was surprised to have someone tell me otherwise...i've read that it's about a 4-6C (idle) jump once in windows...is that somewhat accurate?

Last edited:
no temp you will read is accurate. Use temps relativey. The software in windows may interperate the sensors differently than the bios software. The process of windows booting up may eat up enough cpu usage that it heats up the chip as well.

Hm. I thought all software simply read in Windows what you see as temp in BIOS, no?

It's the sensor itself that may or may not be accurate but how can the display of the sensor reading be different unless the system is under stress versus being idle.

i've read that most sensors are inaccurate (can be as much as 10-15C off) and that a stable system is all that should satisfy but i'm having a hard time accepting over 45C idle temps...before i flashed to the new bios, i was getting 40C idle @ 205x11 @ 1.6V, now it's at 49C idle....currently at 214x11, trying to get back to 220x11...running P95 with a 61C load temp...i'll eventually put a ducting mod in but don't really wanna mess with this case...

The answer lies in My Thread

The sensor being monitored is actually the under socket thermistor and not the CPU die itself. Asus was getting stick for the motherboard not reporting temperatures accurately so they artificially tweaked the BIOS readings to make them seem closer to the real value.

i should've mentioned that i was talking about my gigbayte bios...sorry for the confusion....

even if the readings are innacurate 61 is still getting pretty warm. You should probabally look into better cooling. If its stable, how close are you to being unstable? Like 1 more fsb and you crash? IF thats the case then changes in ambient will probabally be enough to bring your system to a halt.

As for temps being screwy - i don't even monitor my temps. Thats why their not posted in my sig, cause even if I did pay attention to them, they wouldn't be accurate. Newbs would get the idea that if the temps they are seeing aren't as good as other peoples, then thats bad.

stable is running F@H all night and day w/out hiccups...granted P95 does lock the system up after about 3 hours but if i can fold w/out errors, i'll take that.....i think a lot of it is airflow, too...

Back