• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.4 800FSB, best board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Abit IC7 Max3 is the best i'd say... the ones to look at are is7/ic7/p4p800/p4c800 series

I totally agree with q149's suggestions.

The c versions (IC7 and P4C800) use the canterwood chipset and are more expensive but are suppose to be better performers. I have not seen any evidence that it is worth the extra money, but I am sure others will disagree ;)

the P4C800-E has gigabit ethernet on the northbridge rather than the pci bus like the P4C800 and P4P800 does

that's a good perk

IM USING THE P4PC800-E DELUXE
its a nice board no problims and would say its the best p4 board you can buy but alot of ppl on this site like abit personly ive had no experiance with there mobos so i cant say.
but i do know that this board comes with lots of cool stuff here are the goods:
1. good stock chipset hs it does a ok job.
2. lots of slots for 4 years down the road when you want to load it with 4 sticks of 512 dual channel 400mhz ram, 5 pci slots to fill 1 agp slot, loads of sata suff a fast track contoller, its got loads of stuff i dont even know whats for and the 2 best things are that it suports the next line of intels cpu's and its made by the best company ASUS
buy this board its a hole in the pocket but a smile on face and you can say hey ive got the best mobo you can get!

I would suggest the IC7-MAX3.

Only board with 3.2v vDimm.

It also has more likely support for Prescott according to the manual.

You can't go wrong with this board!

I did do some research after I bought the Albatron 865 PE PRO
(Springdale)and a 2.8c . I am kinda disappointed with the votage adjustments( .1 , .2 , .3 ) it kinda sucks alot , so look for voltage adjustmernts.
There is no real difference between the Canterwood and the Springdale except cost ,Here is a link to a review and they say the Asus P4P800 is one of the best ones out there. I have not read about the Abits yet , but quite a few places are suggesting the Asus .

you won't go wrong with the P4P800 dlx or the P4C800E. They are stable and fast. :) I haven't tried the Abit board yet. but I am sure if you want to O/C to the max you need the IC7-G Max3. :)

Only board with 3.2v vDimm

Wrong :(

The Epox 4PCA3+ does 3.2vDimm, and has onboard RAID 5, with space for 8 IDE drives, not counting the normal IDE and the southbridge SATA. :)

The new bios goes to 1.85Vcore. You can always wrap your pins too :)

The Epox Board is cheeper too.

If you're going Springdale there is one thing to think about and that is if the board you're buying have PAT enabled. Springdale isn't supposed to have that but I know that atleast Asus enabled this on thier springdale boards. PAT is pretty much the only difference between springdale and canterwood.

unless you are buying a 2.8c, 3.0c, or 3.2c don't even think about looking at the max3. It has a 5:4 divider bug that has horrible oc'ing. The p4c800 can consistently oc higher than the rest of the mobos out, but by a fairly small margin. There are several different bugs that seem to pop up in the max3's that alot of people complain about, and end up returning the board. Max3's can either be realy good or realy bad, seems to be about equal both ways, but at it's best it is on par with the p4c800 but has the higher vdim which is nice, but the vdim mod for the p4c800 is realy easy, and now you don't need to solder or use smd grabbers to do the vmod...just takes a wire, a vr(actually have to solder wire to vr, but nothing to mobo) and about 5 minutes.

I decided to go the path less traveled and picked up a 4pca3+ rev2, which has great voltages and performance. I hadn't put my prommy on it yet, but I was going pretty well with my 2.4c@ 3.4(it is a crappy 2.4c, the highest I got it on an ic7-g was 3.3 with a cnps7000-cu) stock cooling and volts, and stock vagp. The performance was great, and and realy don't regret purchasing this board, especially because it is so much cheaper than the max3 and p4c800-e. I have a good 2.6c coming that can do 3.95 with 1.65v@-11c, and I should be able to get it cooler and higher with some time and tweaking. I could have gotten a 2.4c that could do about the same, but my memory can't do 2-2-2-5 that high, so I would either have to loosen timings or slow down the cpu, but with the 2.6c I won't have to do that.

Back