• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anandtech opteron review!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
anandtech is starting to get a 2 thumbs down ratting from me.
ever since they move to thier new/current design the webpage has turned to junk and takes forever to load.

I want a webpage to be instant...
they really ouht to bring back the good old fashion HTML and fast load times, all this java non-sence just slows things down.

as for the review....
yawn

For a preview it is pretty interesting... but as it is written, it'll first become truly interesting once there's full 64 bit support in the OS and applications.

As for Jay's comment, please, no more anandtech rant and raves... there's been a million threads on the subject, and it doesn't belong here...

Cheers, Flix

I must say I was impressed with the gaming performance of the Opteron. Not too many people are going to bite with the price as it is though :(.

Ofcouse not.. But once the prices start coming down?

If the rumours that they can't produce enough of them are true, it's logical that they are expensive now. Once they can produce enough to have extra's, they will surely price them at a more competitive level.

. Not too many people are going to bite with the price as it is though
I will. The review is impressive to me. For AMD fanatics as you guys presenting yourself, you are rather poor financial supporters.
I will get FX-51 which will be roughly a disguised Opteron 146.
As soon as it becomes available, hopefully in October.

whatever2003 said:

I will. The review is impressive to me. For AMD fanatics as you guys presenting yourself, you are rather poor financial supporters.
I will get FX-51 which will be roughly a disguised Opteron 146.
As soon as it becomes available, hopefully in October.

I never presented myself as an AMD fanatic. If prescott is cheaper and still has as good or better performance then I would buy that. For now my XP is fine.

A note of caution:
1. Anandtech is using overclocked Opteron 244 rather than 246. 246 is available but the reviewer, Wesley Fink, has no money for it?
2. The configuration is rather strange to me. 2 Gig registered memory is used and then the benchmarks were compared to the setups where 512 MB of memory is used, something similar to AMDzone earlier review. Wonder if that was not Wesley Fink again? If there is an argument that memory plays no role in these benchmarks (which I doubt, since memory write is impacted by the amount of memory) why the Opteron system is not used with 512 MB?

whatever2003 said:
A note of caution:
1. Anandtech is using overclocked Opteron 244 rather than 246. 246 is available but the reviewer, Wesley Fink, has no money for it?
2. The configuration is rather strange to me. 2 Gig registered memory is used and then the benchmarks were compared to the setups where 512 MB of memory is used, something similar to AMDzone earlier review. Wonder if that was not Wesley Fink again? If there is an argument that memory plays no role in these benchmarks (which I doubt, since memory write is impacted by the amount of memory) why the Opteron system is not used with 512 MB?

see here
http://www.overclockers.com/articles825/

and my view of that benchmark is still YAWN!
i need indipendant benchmarks, not corparate onces that i dont know if I can trust as Whaterver2003 just pointed out

Nice review but I think they should have reviewed a 2GHz PIV vs. a 2GHz opteron. Then it would have been apples to apples. Not this high end 3GHz Intel crap. Everyone knows MHz is not everything.

Muhahahhaaaaaaaa

ol' man said:
Nice review but I think they should have reviewed a 2GHz PIV vs. a 2GHz opteron. Then it would have been apples to apples. Not this high end 3GHz Intel crap.

ol' man said:
Everyone knows MHz is not everything.

you answered your own question :rolleyes:

Back