• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did the 5th l3 bridge, now system will not boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akord94

Registered
hay guys, i have been reading up on the 5th l3 bridge, and how its suppose to add 8 to the current mulitplier. anyways, i did it to both of my 1700+ jiuhb jlt3c. now the system will not boot, my msi kd7 master hangs and says that the processor is damanged or improperly installed.
i was wondering if this could be due to the high mulitplyer, seeing that the chip itself is 11, then adding 8 to that i would get a mulitplier of 19. i don't think the chips can handle that much. at stock voltage.
i have also tryed to set the fsb lower via the jumper on the motherboard, so i have tried both 19x133 and 19x100. in both situations i get the same error.
could i have damanged the chips or is it because the chips can't handle such and overclock at stock voltage? should i just short the 4th bridge to and see if it will do 15x100 or 15x133?
thanks
akord94

it's not a question of wether your chip can handle 19Xwhatever, it will not, because 19 is not a recognized multi. the chip simply doesn't know what to boot at so it doesn't. bust out the 3rd l3 as OC Detective said, and you will default at 13X. I've done the same with my chip, and one thing i've found is that 14X is unavailable. i can go from 13X then to 15X and up. i'm not sure why this is though. selecting 6X in bios my system will not boot. 7X gives me 15X, and the chip defaults to 13X.

J.

so inorder to adjust the multiplier in the bios with the lower multipilers, you have to also blow the third l3? cause i was trying to get a multiplier of 17. i know that if i blow the last 3 i will get 17, but i also want to be able to adjust it also.
thanks
akord94

Correct me if I`m wrong but, I think OC Detective and 7 Keys
are saying just cut one more L-3 bridge, the 3rd.(middle)

These (2) cut bridges, will then give your 1700+ chip a new default multi of 13X.

From here you can then go to BIOS and adjust to a new re-mapped multi, depending on your board.

Or am I not understanding this thread correctly?
I have this same chip and am trying to follow along to accomplish
this same goal, on an older KT-133A Soltek motherboard

Matt

The K7D does not support just blowing the last L3. You have to hardcode a multiplier and leave the multi setting in BIOS on Auto if you want a higher multi than 12.5. If you want to get real technical as to why ask in the SMP forum. I did the same mistake with my first overclock on the K7D. Once you cut a bridge you cannot change the BIOS selection from Auto or it wont boot unless you reconnect the bridge.

Xtc4u said:
The K7D does not support just blowing the last L3. You have to hardcode a multiplier and leave the multi setting in BIOS on Auto if you want a higher multi than 12.5. If you want to get real technical as to why ask in the SMP forum. I did the same mistake with my first overclock on the K7D. Once you cut a bridge you cannot change the BIOS selection from Auto or it wont boot unless you reconnect the bridge.

Not necessarily true.
The mobo is not necessarily the problem with opening the 5th L3. The problem is that when you open the 5th L3 on cpus with 11X thru 12.5X you change the default multiplier to 3X thru 4.5X. 3X and 4X are mobile Power Now battery saving multipliers that desktops do not boot, and 3.5X and 4.5X remap to 19X and 20X which usually is too high an oc. All explained at
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Workaround article, esp section dealing with 1700 thru 2000 cpus, 11X thru 12.5X multipliers. See also Table of settings there re the 3.5X thru 4.5X settings.

That's why you also open both the 5th and 3rd L3s which sets a 1700/11X to 13X, which most mobos are happy with and can set other Multipliers in the high range...13X and up.

May also be possible on some mobos to get into the bios asap before system hangs, (with just the 5th L3 open), then set 8X less than desired in user-defined mode. If that doesn't work then also open the 3rd L3.

Read the article, explains lots of workarounds.
John C.

Theres only been 1 or 2 people who have blown the bridges and then were able to adjust multipliers in the BIOS on a K7D. From what i remember the K7D doesn't recognize some bit or something so you are unable to do that. I probably don't remember it correctly but all I know is the K7D doesn't do that. PM cmcquisition and ask him about it. He explained it to me once.

John C is an authority on cutting bridges. Check out his site if you want a thorough understanding of the subject. They have done a lot of the initial research.

the webby url dont work for me :(

anyway i tried the method with my asus a7n8x showed here http://www.geocities.com/arthur_liberman/pinwork where instead of blowing bridges and damaging your cpu i tried the wire trick in the zif socket. after doing the 5 wire one it booted at default mult of 13x but i think my mobo had a problem with its dual channel memory or something as only one stick of my 512mb mem could only be detected. it *might* have been that it wasnt properly connected in but im pretty sure it was.

anyone else successfully tried that method?

Seal

Ok i just did a search thru the SMP forums it seems its a hit or miss when cutting the l3 bridges to go hi and lo. from what i read you have to cut both the last and 3rd L3 bridge. My bad for adding confusion. Learned more stuff today.

Back