• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltage upped to 1.86

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hemirunner426

Registered
will this at all severly hurt this chip running on air?

my air cooling (and i know isnt that great) a lapped volcano 7 (not plus) with a 80mm tornado on top

i was hopping to just raise it up to 1.7 volts to stable me out at 170MHz x 13 @ 2210MHz... it would run stable, but i would get BSOD's here and there so i figured that i'd up to to 1.7 volts

well, i did the wire trick (my board is a K7S5A Pro.... yeah i know) and to my surprise its at 1.86 volts

so i figured i'd try it out with prime running and the tornado on low its at 54C... with it on medium it goes to about 47
so i raised it to 175MHz FSB, kept the fan on low at it got as high as 57C, so i turned it to medium and its dropped to 51C

mind you my room is close to 30C, the air conditioning doesnt work that well in this room (i live in AZ)

my question is will this bother the chip at all? (someitme in the future i will get an SK7)... but for now, i dont really wanna have to tear the machine apart to play with the voltages again
my figurings... these temps are not good, but they arent bad either... i will just have to watch them when im doing intesive apps

are my figurings correct?

edit: this is the stepping for my chip... AIUHB 0324MPMW
edit2: im running the "maximum power consumption, maximum heat" torture test on prime 95 and so far the temp hovers between 48-51C on medium

Last edited:
its all in the cooling ........you lowered your proc fan to medium...

QUOTE so i raised it to 175MHz FSB, kept the fan on low at it got as high as 57C, so i turned it to medium and its dropped to 51C

turn it to high or get a better fan.......

forget about the v core look at the temp.........if you need more stability then raise it ......but look at the temp ....

i have a room temp of 24c....on a volcano 9 full ....temp 40c

vcore in sig

andy

Granted high temps are not a good thing for an overclocked CPU, or any CPU for that matter, there is a point at which the heat will actually hurt the CPU rather then simply hurting stability (heat causes less stability in a system).

From what i've been told most of the athlons are rated as high as 70C. That isnt to say that a hotter running CPU will last just as long as the same CPU running at a cooler temp, but most people would make an upgrade within that amount of time. Now would i ever run with my CPU at 70C? You bet your butt i wouldnt! However if your system is stable and your vcore isnt that high (which 1.86 really isnt) then i say dont worry about it.

I try to keep mine under 55c under load, it's actually around 49-51 under load, which you said yours is at.

Although it is important to remember that 55c on your computer may not be 55c on mine. If you can, try and compair it to what it was at stock, if it only raises a few degrees then obviously you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

As long as your system stable, it should be fine. Your motherboard most likely reports innacurately anyway. The maximum operating temperature for an XP is around 90c. I've had my older 1700 up to 75c reported by bios when the peltier failed. It didn't hurt it at all.

ok... well i just wanted to make sure

before i overvolted it it idled at 39C and at load was about 47C and that was with the tornado on medium

i dont mind running the tornado at medium or high while gaming or running intesive apps.... i just dont want it constantly running

right now its idleing at 45C which i guess is an OK temperature on low

i have to say... it seems rock stable... i ran prime for over 6 hours and played games for 2 while running prime and did just fine

remember this is on a Volcano 7 (not the best in the world) but works

thanks for the advice
next will be to get a SK7 and raise the multiplier... maybe get around 2400MHz on a 170MHz FSB

oh next question... is this a decent stepping... (look in first post)

Whats the rest of the stepping? What model is the cpu? It's about average wafer quality, tbred b. Thats all I can tell from yer stepping there.

its a 2400+... im not sure what the rest of it was... thats the only part that i wrote down

from that, i know you can decifer the type of wafer and when it was made.... i didnt realize the rest meant something other then just being part of the part/speed number

Back