• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4S800 motherboard, bad deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hezec

I think I shouldn't have bought this mobo because there's no real AGP/PCI fix (impossible to lock to 66/33 MHz) and you get only 1,6 V for the CPU!?
I'm disappointed and angry because I can't get my P4 2,4b cpu over 2900 MHz. I think I'd need at least 0,5 V extra to go over 3 GHz.
One more (very strange) thing: when I set the FSB to 166 and bios says PCI is at 33 MHz (looks fine so far) the computer has great difficulties to even boot to Windows!
I'd be very happy to know how to mod this mobo to get more voltages for the processor!

Well, you know what folks, now that I've been playing around with this Asus P4S800 board I have an other kind of story to tell!
Because I couldn't understand the 166/33 -problem I started testing FSB/PCI settings that were much higher than that.
My theory is that there must be something really wrong aroud the 166/33 area; a bad bios bug I think.

So, I started with 180 FSB and...wow...I was really surprised when my PC booted to WinXP without any problems!!
After serious testing I found some unstabilities with the cpu working at 3,24 GHz. I lowed FSB to 178 (PCI 36 MHz) and WOW again! My computer has been rock solid in all tests during the last four hours! Two hours of CPU Stability Test couldn't break down my new 3,2 GHz PC! Cpu temperature was below 55°C all the time with a very quiet stock cooler!

Final words:
Asus P4S800 seems to be a fine motherboard but that "166/33 bug" must be fixed (in next bios perhaps?)!
Right now I'm a happy person! :D

Back