• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I still wanna OC, dagnabbit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

I got this rig back in december with the plan to OC, though it's been a failure. It's a crappy CPU, but i think heat is a big prob too. Ever since i got it and up until now, it boots up at 48c and goes to 56-59c under max load, or when i'm just playing games. I've only tried to OC a few times and that was way back when i got everything. Highest i could possibly get was up to 2.7, and i had to raise the voltage to 1.65. It was unstable though. I still want to OC, I'd like to hit 3ghz...i'd be more than happy with that. Then i can stay with that until i upgrade again 2 years or so down the road. So i guess i'll need better cooling in there...any reccomendations? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cooling. All i know is i don't want anything noisy.

Umm you temps are kinda high. You should make sure you mounted your HSF right.

If you really wanna get a good overclock you need a high end HSF or water cooling.

What type of heatsink are you running? I would try going with watercooling if you truly want to reach 3ghz. You could also be happy with an SLK-900 for cooling but that would max out right around 3ghz.

Thank You,
Daniel

Yes the heatsink is on right...that's what everyone asks me when i post my temps. I've had it for awhile :p, it's been looked at by a few pros. So if the heatsink wasn't on right they would of probably noticed. It's just the heatsink that came with the P4.

Watercooling would be much too expensive. Is an SLK900 the second best thing? I don't want to stress my CPU too much, and i certainly don't want to risk frying it. If that's even a 20% chance i wouldn't touch it. It can only go up to 1.7 volts to be semi-sane right?

SLK-900 maxes out at 3GHz? I'm not an Intel expert, but I think some people are running ~3GHz with stock coolers...

Sounds like you need a new chip. Ocing is specific to each chip. They make different chips and sometimes up the speed or lower it according to demand. So an Athlon 1700+ might have been built for an Athlon 2400+ but the lowered the spped due to demand. It's the same reason the celeron A's were such big over clockers. The chips were meant to have a very high bottleneck but they lowered them due to demand in the market. You might have a chip that was meant for a lower speed and was upped due to demand in the market. Your best bet would be to try and exhange the chip somehow with the exact same one you have now and see if you have better luck OCing and add a couple fans in the back of the case. If you want to go to extreme buy a submersable pump(you can get a small one at any fish place or out door garden place for $15-20) and some tubing and contact a local machinest and tell them to make a water block for you and put water cooling your system. Just keep in mind that most machinast dont know what water blocks are so read up on them if you dont understand them completly and print out a couple pictures and make a graphed design with measurements for the mashinest and explain it to them how it works and stress it has to be water tight and they can hook you up nicely. Thats the cheapest way to do watercooling anyway. Anyway try that stuff and let me know how your doing with your system.

I doubt Exchanging is an option now, unless i want to exchange for something less. I've been using it for almost a year like i said. Bought it for $200+ back then, and now it's probably only worth half. That's how the technology world works. So no one's going to give me a C1 stepping chip for mine =p

yeah, I suppose your right. When I was writing the post i forgot you had purchased it around christmas. This year has gone so fast for me. Anyway try Ebay or something. If I am right and it's just one of those CPU's that was meant to be slower and ran higher for the market that may be all your problem is. But then again it may also be something else stupid like the motherboard just doesnt like that CPU for one reason or another.

Well, i'm just going to stick with this rig. It'd be a big pain in the *** to try and sell everything, i would end up losing a lot of cash on it and it wouldnt be worth it. Sooo, i'd like to try and overclock this one. So i'd like to see how high it could go with some as3 on it and an SLK900 maybe, unless anyone else has any other ideas.

2.7ghz max.... hmm ok there is a heat issue here but that could also be the ram u have...pc2100 ring any bells?? ;)

get the fastest ram ur mobo will take and u will hit 3ghz ;)

*shrug*, this ram should be fine. How do people just expect me to buy all the highest power stuff? Hardware doesnt grow on trees :p

I wonder how much a difference an SLK900 would make, any ideas? I also see there is 2 versions of a SLK 900... there's U and A version or something like that... what's the difference?

Another bump with another question! :p

Could i call Intel about my temps? Could they possibly do anything? Maybe the heatsink is faulty or something. It's still under warranty. Feel free to answer my other questions too ;)

I doubt they'd do anything. They'll probably tell you to contact the reseller.

And the difference between the U and A models is the U uses the four mounting holes on the board to mount while the A is a regular clip.

~THT

Get a slk-900A with a tornado 92mm fan (you will also want a cheap rheostat to controll the noise). You should be in much better shape.

And the 2.4c's are only about $170 at newegg.

contact a local machinest and tell them to make a water block for you and put water cooling your system

Thats a really bad idea for a 1st time water cooling person. Just spend 20 bucks on a pre-made block. It will be cheaper and more reliable.

NO LIFE said:
Get a slk-900A with a tornado 92mm fan (you will also want a cheap rheostat to controll the noise). You should be in much better shape.

And the 2.4c's are only about $170 at newegg.

About how much would all that cost?

$170 is still a lot, plus i'd also have to get a new mobo, and ram if i were to get the 2.4C.

You might want to try reseating your proc and use a tiny bit of AS3 with a good highend heat sink and fan. I love my zalman cnps7000-cu.

Btw you temps are pretty high.

Back