• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Legacy cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

I've written about this in the memory forum, but, since I first posted there, it's become a cooling issue more than a memory issue.

I'm running a first-generation Pentium III 600 (Katmai core, Slot 1, SECC2 cartridge with L2 cache at 1/2 CPU speed) at stock speed. I've recently discovered (for details, see the thread in the Memory forum) that the CPU generates errors unless it is cooled by a large room fan with the case open.

I am using the stock heatsink and fan. I recently opened the cartridge to get all of the dust out (and there was a lot of dust), and replaced the default thermal compound with some Arctic Silver III. Even after this, however, there were still errors on testing.

Can anybody recommend a good Slot1 cooler, and where I can buy one in the UK?

Also, I have a spare fan from building my new P4 system (I won't be using the stock HSF, as I plan to overclock it); could I use the P4 fan with the PIII's heatsink somehow?

Get your self an Alpha HSF combo. I forget the model number off hand (I know it's P7125 for the Athlon Slot A processors). I remember doing some nice overclocks with Alpha fans.

Depends what size the P4 fan is but I'm sure one way or another you can rig it up. What is the manufacturer/model of that P4 fan you have?

_Siph

Thank you for answering :) I've resolved the issue - I think.

I'm talking to you now on a PIII cooled with a P4 fan (I gave the heatsink to my mother to use as a paperweight). It was the wrong size for the clips, but I managed to rig it up by using screws to separate the fan blades from the little clips that stick up and would stop the fan from spinning, and more screws to stop it sliding off sideways, then tying the fan around the outside of the processor with old electrical wire and using a surgeon's knot (courtesy of my father, former boy Scout) to secure it.

Even after this, though, I had errors, so I found an old fan salvaged from a K6-2, and screwed that into the heatsink on the Northbridge of my old Abit BX6 motherboard. Apart from the fact that I have to start the fan by hand, even after oiling it (I shall have to salvage one from the old P200MMX in the kitchen, when I disassemble that presently), it runs very well, and, without any "external" cooling (i.e. a huge room-fan), ran Memtest86 test no. 5 most of yesteray and all of last night without any errors at all.

I'd understand needing Frankenstien cooling if I was overclocking, but this thing's running at rated speed, for goodness's sake. You'd have thought that it wouldn't need anything special to avoid Memtest86 errors.

Ohh, well, I get to build then overclock my P4 2.4c soon, well, as soon as my P4C800-E Deluxe arrives, anyway...

Back