• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BARTON AQXEA, the reality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whatever2003

Banned
I got this stepping of Barton recently and I am running it at 198x11.5 = 2277 MHz, passing two hours of Prime95. The voltage is 1.71 in my case.
Here is a link for evaluation.
Notes:
1. This is the best stepping of Barton you can hope to get at this time.
2. Does 2332 MHz according to these guys at 1.76V core.
3. Overclocked (2332MHz) cannot measure up to Pentium 3.2C at default according to few benchmarks they did.

That is the Barton reality, fable tales aside.

Last edited:
What's the full stepping? "AQXEA" is pretty broad.

See my sig if you want to know what a more complete stepping looks like...

Shoot me but I am not going to be removing my heatsink at this time. It is in Antec PII 635 case and if you know something about that case you would know I would have to remove power supply first, and I am not in the mood to do that. These guys have 0330RPMW, according to picture which is not that much older than yours.

I am assuming you have this bulging green PCB thing, I thought it was wet when I got it. :D
Certainly not a bad processor, easily beats by some 80-90 MHz my two older Bartons.

whatever2003 said:
I am assuming you have this bulging green PCB thing, I thought it was wet when I got it. :D
Did its surface look like this:

nna1.jpg

If so, I wasn't aware that Bartons were being made with the new '27648' packaging!

Yeah.
They also come with a much better heatsink than the little crapy one they used to have. It is with a copper insert pad on the bottom and the heatsink is as big as those old Coolermaster's DPs. In fact, I tried the heasink against TT 10+ (full copper microfins) and it performed better! Not a Thermalright but not bad at all.
Pleasant surprise to me.
The CPU runs about 4-5C cooler than my older Bartons. I think quite an improvement and justifies my $92 investment (newegg).
Got me thinking about a new NF7-S. :D

Last edited:
1.76v is far from the max vcore.
This only aids the suspician that something else is your bottleneck.

Does it do 2200 at stock voltage or not? What will it do at 2.2volts? :cool:

No don't do 2.2 volts, that's just tad bit on the side of insane.

1.8 volts Vcore is a must though. Whenever people talk about "how high it overclocks," 1.8 Vcore goes without saying, doesn't it?

A little joke c62. From another thread. But then again... maybe I am insane... We'll know once I finish modding my nf7-s. :insane: I want an insane smiley!

ok everyone else seems to have gone insane because no one has asked, so I WILL.

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS STEPPING AND WHEN?! :D Please share info, im looking to getting a 2500 soon.

Thats not too great in my opinion. My Barton does 2200mhz at stock voltage. Was a newegg proc. Then again, my cooling solution is a bit better than a stock heatsink. The problem is, I cant push it until I get a new psu, at 2200mhz my 12v rail is just over 13.9volts.

Hmmm... 250FSB, Barton in prommy at 3ghz (x12), 2 512 sticks of a data at 5-2-2-2.... I wonder how it'd do...

Sorry, just daydreaming about if I had unlimited time and money.

You're saying your max overclock is with stock heatsink and 1.7V? Most people on these boards who pay 90$ for a cpu would invest 20$ in an SK7 or better heatsink.

You're saying your max overclock is with stock heatsink and 1.7V? Most people on these boards who pay 90$ for a cpu would invest 20$ in an SK7 or better heatsink.
Talking to me?
I have SLK-800A with a TT Smart Case fan II on it. That is a pretty good cooling unit. Certainly better than a stock cooler though the stock cooler is not as bad as it used to be.
My actual voltage is 1.71 but the I set it to 1.75V. The 1.71V is what shows up in BIOS on a "health monitor."
I also said this setup is passing 2 hours of Prime95 which is what I call stable.

I've seen prime take a dump just shy of 3 hours into it on a few occasions (memory related though)... and heard of it going out as late as 12-18 hours. Might want to give it at least an overnight round.

Back