• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Miniature Air conditioner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warshed

Registered
I just moved into a place and all utilities are paid. I want to buy a miniature air conditioner (just for my case) and just shoot the cold air directly in. Do any of you guys have any ideas on where to buy a nice small efficient air conditioner? Also I wanted to know if running an air conditioner straight into a case is ok for the hard drives or should those be brought outside the case?

I don't know a good air conditioner for this but every air conditioner ive seen causes alot of condensation, when u do find one make sure u test the condensation it puts out before connecting it to your computer, its not fun to have fried parts :(

Your local hardware and/or appliance store should have a window AC unit.

Its been done before. Duct the output of the airconditioner to a fan slot in your case and you should be good. Many on the forums have done this without frying anything.

Vapochill also makes a small unit for this purpose. I would link you, however their site is down at the moment. Google Vapochill, and look on their products page.

dano said:
I don't know a good air conditioner for this but every air conditioner ive seen causes alot of condensation, when u do find one make sure u test the condensation it puts out before connecting it to your computer, its not fun to have fried parts :(

Actually condensation isnt a problem if done right.

As said it's been done before, infact i've done it myself.

Condensation forms when an item becomes colder then the air around it, the more humid the air the quicker it will condense and the more in will condense.

If you only duct the air to the back/front of the case rather then putting duct INTO the case then there wont be any condensation inside of the case because the air inside the case is what will be cool. Now say you were to put the duct through a hole in the case up to your HSF, then the ducting would be cooler then the air around it and would condense, water would drip, bad things would happen.

By leaving the duct strictly outside of the case no condensation will form in any spot that could risk your system. The outside of your case may have a little condensation, and the ducting will have alot, but again this only happens on the OUTSIDE so it is plenty safe, and rather fun too :D.

Back