• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ dlt3c misbehaving >:-(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rutkus

ok, my setup is in my sig, i got a 1700+ axda1700dlt3c
jiuhb0310xpmw which should be a GREAT overclocker that i got from excaliber. It refuses to go over 170 fsb even all the way down to 10 as the multiplier.

my memory timings are 7-2-2-2.0
my cpu interface is set to agressive although i have tried optimal on my 8rda+ and nothing.

i cranked up my votage all the way to 1.85 and with all my fans going full bore, the temp didn't get past 40C

I'm at a lost for what to do, i have active cooling on my northbridge an iceberq4, and for thermal grease i'm using ceramique and the best i could get it at was 160 x 10 fsb stable in windows. anything higher and it will not boot to windows. i reset everything back to defaults till i get new ideas.

one question I do have is on the memory frequency on my 8rda+, what should i set it at? when i set it to "by spd" it sets the frequency all the way to 200, if my understanding is correct you sync up your fsb to your memory frequency so i just set it to 100%, is this where the problem lies or am i doing it correct?

any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
AIUG-->A<--

T-Bred A's have a stepping code which ends in "A": xxxA are T-Bred A's
T-Bred B's have a stepping code which ends in "B": xxxB are T-Bred B's

Read up:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237

Thoroughbred A's overclock 300 MHz less than Thoroughbred B's.

A's do about 2.0 GHz with luck.

Wait just a minute, you say excaliber sent you an 'A'??

First of all it's www.excaliberpc.com and if you ordered from the page that guaranteed a 'B', call them ASAP.

sorry, when i read this over, i pulled my hs out and re wrote down everything on the cpu, i edited my original post. what i had down was the tbredA i RMA'd back to newegg...i copied the wrong stuff down without thinking.

yes it was from excaliberpc.com the "monster overclocker" is what i ordered from them, my goal was for like 2.4ghz but now i'd be satisfied with anything over 2.0ghz.

anyway now that things are clarified, suggestions please...

Last edited:
Sir Barton said:
hmmm.....all i can say....maybe try a BIOS update? i hear the 2507 BIOS for the 8RDa+ is one of the better ones. either that or maybe you just got a bad apple and should RMA it.

You don't RMA a cpu that doesn't overclock the way you want it to. :rolleyes:

ok, i read through that postm its 12 pages long so i kinda skimmed through it, so its a bios problem and i should flash my bios? and i'm not clear on what A1 stepping is.

Last edited:
Try 150*12.5 I think something (not the cpu) Is screwing your FSB. Could be what C(a bunch of numbers) said, could be the iceberg isn't making good contact. Could be that God is giving you all kinds of crap to test your faith (Watch out... either pox or a house falling on your kids is next... I don't remember).

WeaponX6X said:
My DLT3C is at 160* 12.5. That's 2000 MHz. Try that.
There are three types of 1700+.
2 GHz is average for Thoroughbred A DLT3C.

Anyone know if this problem applies to other motherboards? I seem to have this same problem with some 512mb HyperX pc2700 sticks in both an A7N8X deluxe and an NF-7. Both seem to be unstable at anything over 180 regardless of what the multiplier is.

You have a friend you can borrow ddr from? Stick two of them instead of one in and see and let us know.

well it seems to like the 12.5 multiplier, i'm running 167 x 12.5 = 2087.5 mhz, although this is a great step, its not where i wanna be, my mbm says its at 2093mhz but my wcpuid says its at 2098mhz, as far as stability goes, playing bf1942 seems to be a good test since i have oc'd a previous system that went prime95 for 24hrs then rebooted after playing bf1942

I don't know anyone that has any kind of decent caliber ram to borrow but i will ask around, i am wanting to buy another stick of pc3200 anyway it might be a good excuse to...

anywy, i pushed it up to 12.5 x 170 and nothing, 12.5 x 169 it boots to windows and i was just reading this post when it rebooted, now i'm at 12.5 x 167 and i'm about to hit the submit reply button now....

I wish I did. I am probably just going to have to participate in the 'Best Buy Rental Program' ;)

have you tried just starting @133FSB, and upping the multi to see how far you 1700 will take you? you know it's 11.5@133, so start of at 12.5 multi, default vcore, if it works, then work ur way up untill you can't bootinto windows... increase vcore onestep at a time, then go from there... record each increments multi/vcore wise. You should be able to determine what your max CPU speed will be with adequate vcore (1.8-1.85). This would then be your max range for your cpu... convert to the 166FSB and lower multi to reach the same speed. Having PC3200 ram will get you in to that range easily. Monitoring your voltages thru bios to see fluctuations by your pwr supply is also vital. Motherboard Monitor v5 or v6(can't remember) will also let you monitor this once you're in windows.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 2.4GHZ!!!!!!

alrighty i have played 1 hour of bf1942 and i'm happy to say at this point its pretty stable. 12x200 1.75v timings 8-3-3-2.5 temp 40C. right now i'm happy as hell. everything runs fast and so far....stable...i'll prime95 it tonight. but usually bf1942 with winamp running is a good test for me.

thanks so much for the help guys

cpuz.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, it is interesting to see you mention 170-169 as your bus, because when I tried around that range, my harddrive would puke windows everywhere (meaning, the file system would die, thus re-installing Windows). I'm at 180, and anything over 200 causes the same thing. You could have issues with your hard drives. They are a huge limiting factor in terms of bus rating. But good job on the OC, I'd be doing 2.5 if I had better cooling.

-Frank

what resolved my problem with that was relaxing on my ram timings, once i did that i went from 170fsb to 200fsb where i'm at now

Back