• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornado Is it worth it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I have heard that the Vantec Tornados sound like vacum cleaners, so I was wodering if people who had them could give me there view on there noise and how much it cooled there PC over a less quieter less powerful fan

Well this things provide the ultimate cooling. Nothing cools better than them. It is pretty loud but not as loud as a vaccum. Thats an exageration. I have a 92mm tornado and it is pretty loud but after like a week or two you get used to it and dont notice noise.

its not pretty loud, IT IS LOUD! winding freaking noisy, but not vaccum cleaner, its more like hairdryer. If you can stand it like a hairdryer, use it, other than that use Smart FanII, even at highest speed is not as loud as Tornado

all of us here have the same opinion.
you should get it but its best to have a way to controle it because it can get very loud and do a asome job when you need it but when you dont you dont want to hear it so much.
so get a fancontroler, and i would sugest to get 2 of them one for your cpu hs and one for the side case blowing directly on top of the other to bring in fresh air.

BUT Be warned the cmf's have to be within 3cmfs higher or lower for it to work properly so if the cpu fan is at 50cmf the min the case fan should be at is 47cmf or the max 53cmf. other wise you can screw up the air flow and it wont cool right so get a fancontroler and hoke them both up and keep them both at the same setting you cpu temps will be funominal if ur using a good hs and some as3

good luck o and i know you heard that vacume coment from my fourm its called p4 stock fan? to hot? any way good luck

Fan noise.

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/828.htm

The noise level rating is 56.4 dBa (Decibles) and compared to the EverCool I use (32 dBa) the Tornado would be VERY loud.
http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html

Anything rated at or below 25 dBa is considered quiet and the noise level increases with the dBa.
Here's two good links for fan noise research.
Read every word of the first link and you will be amazed.

"When you double the decibels, it isn't twice as loud.
40 decibels is actually about NINE times as loud as 20 decibels. The reason for this is that loudness increases approximately three times for every bel (or 10 decibels). So 30 decibels is three times as loud as 20 decibels. 40 decibels is three times as loud as 30 decibels. This makes 40 decibels nine times as loud as 20 decibels."
Based on that theory, the Vantec would be about nine times as loud as my EverCool. WHOA!
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/decibels.html
http://www.directron.com/directron/noise.html

Thing that spurred my interest in noise was I ordered some 80mm 32CFM case fan rated 25dBa and they are very quiet.
http://www.nexfan.com/evcafan80bl.html

A friend ordered a 84 CFM with a 55bDa rating and I thought WHOA! http://www.nexfan.com/su80hicafa.html
That puppy sounds like a helo hovering and I knew it was way more than twice as loud as mine so I did my research and now I know about noise levels and ratings.

Basically if you want to move more air you turn the blades faster and the faster the blades turn the more noise they make. I read fans with seven or more blades are best and stay with the smallest center hub available. I ordered one of these with the smallest center hub I could find and IMHO it is very loud. http://www.nexfan.com/ytetmd70fa1.html

Lots to know about fans and dBa noise levels and I hope this helped. OldBird

Eventually you'll tear out the tornado, unless it's in a server room. You can try to get used to it, but it's impossible to think with that thing running at 12v. Run the fan at 7v and it still pushes a lot of air, with the noise being far more reasonable.

for what its worth i have a pc toys tornado maxx199cfm fan its loud very loud after it was in a few hours i have gotten use to the niose it dropped my temps allot

To johnfs.

There you go John. It's all in what the user perceives as "loud" or an acceptable noise level. Where the noise drives one person up the wall the next might not perceive it as annoying. Like the man said, "To each his own . . . "

very nice hunny,, yeah its loud, a control speed would help, i have qa volcano 7, no control speedd,, ugh is it loud

"Well this things provide the ultimate cooling. Nothing cools better than them."
What about a Vapochill?

And I have an 80mm, 7000RPM Delta fan in my 200w Delta PSU.

Even at 7 volts the tornado is still noisy; make sure the fan controller you buy can lower the voltage to under 7 volts (many have 7 volts as their lower limit, which isn't low enough to make it truly quiet).

OK, it's loud.

At this point I think the general consensus is it is LOUD and if you don't mind the loud then get one. If you do mind then look elsewhere for quieter. .

With regard to adequate cooling, here is the basic OC'ing rule 1:1
How far you OC determines the cooling power you will require. OC as I do and you will be good to go with basic air. Start pushing hard and you have to go liquid or risk the chance of frying your CPU. Fortunaltely most of todays OC'ing MB's have the anti-burn protection that shuts it down before the CPU gets so hot it fries.

You asked for our info:
I use this air cooler with Arctic Silver http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html
2100 OC'd 2175MHz (normal clock 1733MHz) and it runs nice and cool. With the case closed and one bottom intake and one back exaust fan, both 80 mm 32CFM 25 Decibles, I get around 45C idle and never over 55C full load and it is a very quiet computer. For extra quiet I replaced the EverCool HS fan with a 32CFM 80MM 25 Decible fan (same as the case fans) and it really reduced the noise level. If I leave the side off the case it knocks the temps down 5C.

I have the 8RDA EPOX and did a HS mod and mounted a 40mm fan on top with twist ties to keep the chip cooler. I know that's a funky way to mount a fan, but it works for me. The fan numbers are Delta Electronics EFB05 12ma and it is barely audible.

Here's a tid-bit for ya'. I removed the chip HS and found to my dismay there was a square, pink compound pad that only covered maybe 60% of the round HS and chip. I carefully removed the pink crud with some alcohol and a Q Tip and replaced it with white compoud covering the HS and chip as it should be. Nowwoth the cmpound properly in place plus the cooling fan the chip will run cool and be happy, happy, happy.

That's all I have for you so have a nice day and enjoy your computer. OldBird

Last edited:
The tornado is LOUD, but I find it less irritating than a smartfan 2 running at full speed. You need some kind of contoller for the tornado. I use my OC computer in a basement rec room. This is a a 20x30 room, I think it would be a problem in a small area that contains the sound.

but I find it less irritating than a smartfan 2 running at full speed.
well fhanderson, smartfan 2's highest dba is 48 while the tornado's max dba is 55.2...im pretty sure that a difference of 4 dba would make the tornado more annoying, plus the smartfan 2's have much more functionality, eliminating the need for a fan controller unless you have a bunch of fans in ur case, and about the tornados, i would suggest just getting the tornados ONLY for hs cooling purposes because having it for a case fan wouldn't be very logical considering you can get other better fans like the smart fans 2 for much cheaper and have more functions
________
Cumshot Virtual

Last edited:
dalilman, I didn't mean to imply that a tornado is quieter than a smartfan, only that I find the pitch of a smartfan to be more irritating than the pitch of a tornado. I have five case fans and a 92mm tornado for CPU, all on a rheobus. I can adjust the tornado down slightly and it is less irritating than a smartfan at full speed and probably flows as much air. I said probably because I have never measured to state it as a fact. The smartfan is a good fan but I think a tornado and a good controller is a better setup, yes, more expensive.

sounds more like a hair dryer, the tornado definately gets to you after a while, if you have the cash go with water cooling

Back