• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely hot AMD 1.4 Tbird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmontone

Registered
I have a asus k266-e mobo with a amd 1400 tbird with a thermaltake volcano 6; and it is reading some extremely high temperatures. Just leaving the computer on it rises to 71C while just surfing the web, its been like this since i have got it. Should I buy some AC3 and a newer HSF or is it safe to leave it at the current temps??

Personally I doubt those temps are accurate. If you're using ASUS PROBE to read those temps then they're probably 10°c too high. Even then 61°c is way too much. If it's ran stable like that since you got it, how long have you had the system?

for one, 1.4ghz Tbird is really hot, and you might not even up the hsf on the processor. My sis old comp kept getting BSOD because of it overheating so much, i didn't know the problem at first then since i upgraded the tbird to T-bred, no more problem :D

ive had the system for 2 years and its always ran very hot, but im not sure exactly what temp. Yeah im using the asus probe for the readings; right now its reading 66C and im only running two IE windows

I'm running a 1.2gig tbird watercooled but I ran it with my volcano 6cu+ for a bit and had idle temps of 48°c, unlike many people I never encountered the +10c PROBE glich so I think my temps on air were fairly accurate. I wasn't keen on that temp zone but ultimately if it's stable, then it's stable. But I'd look into cooling it a bit more if I were you, just to be safe. A new sink and AS3 would be the easiest solution.

Ok here are ur simple things to understand
#1 yes the asus probe is bad
#2 get some as3 no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#3 get a good HS the volcano 6 is nothing to be proud of.
i would sugest to go out and get this and put up the cash dont be cheap, its worth it check it out
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v12.htm
#5 if you have a cooling problim you have to tell us what your using to cool your case so we can understand your thermodiamics

any thing els just PM me im happy to help

I second syberspy9. The 1400 Tbirds run really hot and need good cooling.

I agree, the 1.4 Tbirds are known to run hot...some more so than others.
I bought mine from a board member who had temp probs and went to water cooling...STILL ran hot. My AX-7 keeps the temps just below 50 C even in the summertime...
So, I'd also suggest a new HSF and AS3...:D

or just get a new cpu. Why spend $$$$$ to cool it when you can just spend that money on a new cpu?

Well, if you're getting a new CPU you'll most likely want to cool it with a good sink, even if it runs cooler than a tbird 1.4gig so you'd still spend the money on a new sink. (I'd want something better than a volcano 6 on a new tbred or barton if I got one). Plus once you get the new chip in you'll have this voice in the back of your head nagging you to build a whole second (or third, fourth, whatever) machine around the old chip and farm it for SETI/Folding.

Back