• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900U + Tornado 92mm , idle temp is kinda high.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carbonlung

Registered
The idle temp is at 43C. Is that an average idle temp of the cpu (2.4C) running the same set up as I am? If I cant lower it then I have no hope of overclocking my system.:(
I'm using kingwin 424 case, 2 80mm intake and 1 80mm exhaust fan. I used the Artic Ceramique paste. Tried to spread it as evenly as I could on the CPU core and installed Slk-900u. Some excess kinda oozed out on the edges which means the core and heatsink should be covered relatively evenly.
With the temp idle of 43C and If I mildly overclock it (2.8Ghz-3Ghz). What kind of idle and load temp will I be looking at? Thanks for the help.

(I dont know the full load temp of the cpu, I'm still at the bios stage of my build)

hey man the hs is all good but the as3 u let use on to the side i dont like that i would of ahd somthing reat to whipe it off before it got to far but hw far did it go u should show a pic.

the big question is what did you put for a cpu fan on that thing?
and only 3 80mm man if u want food temps the cpu fan cant do all that work.

so you should to do the folowing:
1.go and learn how to make a top blow hole and put in a 92mm fan for exust.
2. put one more 92mm fan on the side case, but place it well so that the fan blows right in the middle neer all the good stuff like your cpu,ram,chipset , and the back of your vga card.

warning do not put it blowing directly on your cpu hs/fan because the cmf rate must be iwithen 3 cmf's as if the side fan blows more air than your cpu fan or visa versa you will not get good cooling.

so place a 92mm on the topblowing out and a 92mm on the side blowing in. and cut out the built in fan grills on the case and put in some othe ones helps noise and air flow.

good luck ill check for ur reply

Carbonlung, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

1st off everyone has a different idle temp due to soo many variable factors. Although your idle temp does seem to be a bit on the high side for your cooling setup. It sounds like you have too much AC on your cpu. That can create tiny air pockets between your CPU/ Heatsink. Which can raise your temps considerably. Also make sure your HS is seated firmly and evenly. If one side is more snug then the other that can cause it to be less efficent.

When applying the AC try using a plastic bag and smear a very thin layer over the core. The bag helps to apply it evenly. Even oil off your finger, as well and the small ridges/vally's created from your fingerprint can be enough to raise your temps slightly. You shouldn't have any excess AC oozing out, or minimal at best. Good luck and keep us posted.

if your system temp is 30C or higher, 42C is perfectly normal as a idle temp. but idle temps are not what stops you from overclocking. I base mine on load temps. I have a personal ceiling of 55C for my P4, some people want it to be lower, some people don't care how high it gets as long as it doesnt lock up. me, I get a idle temp of 42C also with a 33C system temp, however, at stock speeds, load temps are 48C. well below my prefernce. when aplying 1.75 volts, my temps might rise to 53-54C load, but remeber this is with a hot system temp. things cool down nicely with cooler ambient temps. when my system is anywhere around 27C or below, my cpu idle temp can sometimes be 38-39C, and my load temp would be 42C at stock speeds, overclocked would be around 48C. so you see, if its hot in your room, in your case, it will really affect the performance of you hsf. because remeber, whatever tempeerature the air is in the case, that will also be absorbed by the copper or aluminum

Thanks for welcome and reply.

Last night when I first started the system, the ambient temp was around 76F, CPU idle temp was at 43C. Now the ambient temp is at 74F, CPU idle temp is at 41C. I guess it is not as uncommon of an idle temp as I thought (I checked the CPU temp pole).

The paste I used is the Arctic Ceramique. Oozing was bit of of an overstatement, sorry about that. Its more like a thin bead around the core. The bead formed when I pressed the Heatsink to the core. I used cloves and a creditcard to spread the paste. I spread some on the HS and then on the core. I had to spread the core several times to make it even. Even covered the hole on the core, located near the ZIF lever. The thin bead did not flow down the cpu chip itself. Its like a droplet of water right on the tip of a leaf. The paste is very stick as well, and does not flow very well.

As for the fan, installed the 92mm 119Cfm tornado (no fan control) blowing to the HS. Putting a blowhole with probably a 92mm fan, then maybe replace the stock exhaust with a 120mm fan. I would like to add another intake but I dont wanna drill through the case side window panel (yet).

The mobo is a gigabyte 8knxp. I will post the load temp as soon as I get past my bios problem. I have been trying to update it with newest bios (F6) but it keep saying that I have the wrong file size. Thanks again for the help.

you should spread the ceramique on the heat sink. what your supposed to do is rub it in with your finger in the plastic baggy or something. once you done rubbing it in your supposesd to wipe it off with a lint free cloth. on the core it's supposed to look hazy, almost see through. if you didnt do this , that might be why its a little high.

Aaah okay, I will disassemble my system and do it again as soon as possible. Maybe try to lap the heatsink as well.

If there's one thing that needed to be improve on the SLK-900U is the installation guide of the heatsink.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me.

One factor may be that you're using the 92mm tornado. It has a lower static air pressure than the 80mm version as well as a larger "dead" spot in the middle. The fin density of the 900 needs a fan that can put out pressure, not just free air flow.

the 92MM does give better temps than the 80 MM. is it a big difference? no, 1-2 C. but it isnt as noisy as the 80 MM either. BTW I have tried this myself

once you put the as3 on corectly then you should be good.
but dont lap that hs you dont need to it is the best and you wont make it any better just look at some reviews from the pros most say its fine some of them are a little of the wall and they just have to lap every thing.

This is your best bet if you get the as3 on good and et a fancontroller then with this setup added to the case later you might want to change the curnt case fans also and then there will be no cooling issus besides vga,chips set, and ram maby.
but do this for now.
put one 92mm fan on the side case, but place it well so that the fan blows right in the middle neer all the good stuff like your cpu,ram,chipset , and the back of your vga card.

warning do not put it blowing directly on your cpu hs/fan because the cmf rate must be iwithen 3 cmf's as if the side fan blows more air than your cpu fan or visa versa you will not get good cooling.

then place a 92mm on the topblowing out and cut out the built in fan grills on the case and put in some other ones helps noise and air flow.

Simply put, try to even your intake/exhaust fans if possible. I believe you stated you had 2 intake and 1 exhaust originally. Seems you are trying to do just that but getting a 120mm exhaust.

Download MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5) its a great utility to check your temps and voltages. It does take a little playing with to get used to, but easy enough after a short time.

Keep us posted with your results so we can help you along.

Just a little update here. I disassemble the heatsink from the cpu. Cleaned the HS and the core with acetone. I followed the application guide for the Arctic Ceramique paste. I didnt even need to spread out the paste on the cpu. The guide says just put a blob equal to the size of a small cooked grain of rice or 1/2 size of a BB. That just what I did.

The idle temp is now at 40C, ambient temp of the room is 76F. A little improvement from what I had before. Next step is to clean up the cluttered wires by sleeving, then install a 92mm blowhole fan. I may replace that 92mm tornado with an 80mm fan (dunno what brand yet). Thats it for now. I appreciate all the responses. It has been a great help. I will keep you guys posted. :)

The tornado would be fine, it gets great temps. The only reason why you might wanna get rid of it is the noise level. Also on lapping, lap if you want or don't. Spy said not to but i've seen people get better temps by lapping. Anyway, what's the worst that could happen? You seem capable enough not to screw it up.

If you can feel ridges by rubbing your fingernail across the HS then lapping won't hurt.

Sounds like you have a better seat with your HS and CPU now. If you want a good quality 80mm fan go with a Panaflo L1A. Just my 2cp

well all thers left to do now is some more case cooling with 1 80mm and 1 92 mm exhust and 2 80mm intake you should but the side fan and the rear fan both 92mm you want positive presure in your case that way less dust and if you case is to positive presure the mobo will sense it and cange the fan votage any way so if you can make all the fans 92mm but for now you should ad the 92mm on the side and probibly cange the rear fan to a 92 mm and spend a few bucks and get a fan controller its worth it but the lapping no need to i would say but if you wana u can just a wase of time and money and you might not even get it flat as the stock job well good luck and dont touch that vanteck tornado right now other than water cooling you have the best cooling for your cpu ok so add the fans and relax

Back