• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestions for cheap and effective cooling please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

ok i need to cool my MSI TI4200 128b 8x cause i wanna o/c the hell out of it. my CPU is ok i got a volcano 11+ on it and i have 4 smartfans in my case CPU 2.00v 200x12 my full load temps sit around 42c (and my ears are ringing for days from the noise) i dont have much money to spend but i need somthing effective for my video card. i got alot of old heatsinks kicking around and was thinking of putting my OEM XP2000+ HSF on it but its pretty big and heavy and i dont know how i would secure it also for the RAM chips i have some RAM sinks which i got with my thermaltake RAM cooling kit and was thinking they might be ok if i cut em up.. any other suggestions i could use? thanks

im planning on buying a zalman type cpu cooler to mount on my 9700 pro and iver cut up a cheap heatsink to mount on the ram.

for vga cooling buy this

i dont know how much money you have but you might as well just whate and save for this it will do a asome job and it comes with hs's then down the raod just mount a cse fan blowing on you vga card with these 2 things youll have the best cooling.

You know, if you don't mind about the noise, then you could replace all of your fans with fans with two blades: it's much noisier, but the effect will be more powerful. You can probably get that sort of thing at places that sell model aircraft (real ones that fly, that is, not Airfix kits...)

if i wanted to get a pretty good vga cooler, go to www.pricewatch.com, go to the section on cooling for vid cards, and search for the thermaltake a1349, its a reaaly good cooler for the gforce 4 line. or if u prefer, u can search for any other vga cooler, i havent heard of many others specifically for gforce 4..good luck on cooling it
________
Handjob black

Last edited:
go with the geforce 4 copper cooler or for more over clocking us epoxy and put on the stock amd 2000+ hsk fan

countermods said:
go with the geforce 4 copper cooler or for more over clocking us epoxy and put on the stock amd 2000+ hsk fan

Is that the one made by thermaltake?

I'm about to buy this one, but am not sure if its the best one to get.

Link Here

ok well i decided i need cooling today so i went digging through my boxs of HSF and found a nice heatsink i didnt even know i had and put a 50mm fan on it and strapped it to my GPU with zip ties and used some silver goop i had and also cut up some RAM sinks i had from from my thermaltake RAM cooling kit and low and behold my idle temps on the card went from 56c to a stagering 28c.. and i aint joking.. before i put on the new HSF i left my PC siting on desktop and watched my temps sitting at 56c for an hour (MSI cards have temp sensor next to GPU core and i have another temp sensor on case i put next to it) then after putting on the new HSF watched it again over the next hour and didnt go over 26c its incredible and cheap now by doing this i can overclock my card more without any artifacts.. old o/c on card 290/600 new overclock 315/625 i couldnt even dream of getting speeds like that 2 days ago.. then i borrowed my room mates Corsair RAM and got me a new score on 3DMark 2001.. old score 14323 new score 15120.. woot what a day ill have some pics of my rig and my home made cooling in the next day or so if someone will host the pics for me.

ok i am now going to mount a 80mm fan somewhere around the card to blow away any heat that its producing. any suggestions on where would have the best effect? thanks

Back