• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan direction?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NS13Stinger

Need an opinion here. I was recently told that the fan has to be mounted on the heatsink in order for it to take the heat away from the CPU. Now, I mounted my 80mm Tornado that way and my CPU temps ranged 38C - 40C.

Then, I reversed the fan and had the air blowing directly onto the heatsink and my CPU temps dropped to a range of 33C - 35C.

I think my friend was wrong. Which direction do you have your heatsink fans blowing?

The fan is supose to mounted blowing onto the HS. Your friend is indeed wrong, as your temps tell you :D

it depends on the case, the airflow in the case and the heatsink, but for the most part you want to blow on to the HS. the best thing to do is try it both ways for 5-7 days, so you can get a good average temp, and a good idea fo the real temps (ie it will allow the AS3 to cure) and then switch it around and wait another 5--7 days (same reasons) and then go with the way the works the best with your HSF and Case and air flow.

When air is sucked off of the heatsink, a lot of the air doesn't ever hit the base. When air is blown onto the heatsink, the air is forced onto the base, then away through the fins.

That's your answer.

However, there are a few heatsinks designed to have air sucked away from them.

Back