• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating Bios on 8knxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carbonlung

Registered
I tried updating the bios to the latest one, F6 using the Q flash utility in the bios. But it said that the file is the wrong size. I am under the assumption that the F6 bios will let you boot from a Raid 0 set up.

Should I set the raid up then install the Win XP? or Dont set up the Raid, and install Win XP on one of the drives?

HDs are:
2 Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm SATA 8mb cache.

Any suggestion or solution will be appreciated. Thanks

Got it figured out, got the Bios update and flashed the Bios using Q-flash utility. Set-up the raid. However, another problem arises. Window XP does not see the harddrive so it cant install.

Im not sure on that board but there have been problems booting from SATA drives on other boards. You have updated the BIOS so im not really sure what else you can do. Can you boot from the SATA drives if you set the boot priority to SCSI instead of HDD0?

Here is a thread for the same problem on a different board. I hope something helps. Good luck.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226066

K1ll1nT1m3 said:
Im not sure on that board but there have been problems booting from SATA drives on other boards. You have updated the BIOS so im not really sure what else you can do. Can you boot from the SATA drives if you set the boot priority to SCSI instead of HDD0?

Here is a thread for the same problem on a different board. I hope something helps. Good luck.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226066

its the same board ;) are the harddrives new? if yes then you need to format them first by hooking them up to another computer. If they are not new do you have the raid set up forrectly in the bios?

I didnt reread the thread. I guess I really should have. Anyway, you got yours working, so good luck.

I got the O.S. installed on the Raid 0 SATA drives. I downloaded a driver from the Gigabyte website (using another computer), put it on the floppy then proceded to install the O.S..

Glad to see you got it. Let me know how those drives do, if you would? I want to do a Maxtor SATA raid.

Right now my impression on the Maxtor Raid 0 is its not that fast. Well not relatively faster than IDE. But I cant really say for certain because I've only had to those HDs running for a couple of days. In addition, I'm still setting up the system on the software side. Adding drivers and such.

I will definitely let you know how the drives are when I get everything up and running.

A good performance tip. defrag. Helps a bunch. I defrag ( by a scheduled script file ) every night. When the files are all contiguous, the drive doesnt have to search for the rest of the file. The files will be all in a line. ( basicly ) Instead of scattered across the disk. If you can, defrag the drive from another OS. So that no files on that disk are being used. In that case the system files can be moved too.

I connect a PATA HDD, and defrag the SATA from that OS once a week so I can make sure the SATA is fully defraged. Its worth a shot at least. Good luck.

Carbonlung said:
Right now my impression on the Maxtor Raid 0 is its not that fast. Well not relatively faster than IDE. But I cant really say for certain because I've only had to those HDs running for a couple of days. In addition, I'm still setting up the system on the software side. Adding drivers and such.

I will definitely let you know how the drives are when I get everything up and running.

Which raid controller are you using,the one in the southbridge ICH5R or the silicon image controller. The silicon image controller goes through the PCI buss so your limited to 133 mbs transfer rate,if you use the one in the ICH5R chipset it bypasses the PCI buss and you get 150mbs transfer rate.

I'm using Intel's ICH5R controller. I'm having some problems with the Raid 0 and the SATA maxtor drives. Most often times when I boot, the controller does not recognize one of the drives. I re-boot and it would fix the problem. Then it would hang when the harddrives are trying to load windows xp. I just re-boot and re-boot till it gets in the windows. I will update the ICH5R's driver see it that helps any. If not then I may have to settle for an IDE drive.

Back