• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600+ Thourobreads out apparently!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

1600+ Thoroughbred out apparently!

Was just checking out Tiger Direct Canada and noticed this:

1600 Thoroughbred

$65 Canadian or about $45 US. Not too bad if it OC's like the other Tbreds.

hmm, interesting idea, it would be nice if it did overclock like the jiuhb 1700+'s or the aiuhb 2100+'s

Yeah they were released but were never seen in the wild outside OEMs.

This is the first sighting reported here as far as I know.

On the other hand, in addition to scamming us in the US, those TigerDirect thiefs are after Canadians as well? Do not buy anything from TigerDirect ever no matter how good of a deal it is.

Thousands upon thousands of people have found out the hard way in the US about incorrect items being sent, credit cards being charged multiple times, used and broken items being sent, 15% stocking fee being charged if you return items you never ordered.

Your personal and credit card info being used to sign you up for phone cards.

Do not buy from TigerDirect EVER!!

Most importantly, spread the word whenever you see someone posting a TigerDirect deal...

I've always had good luck with TD. I used to buy from them often before I knew about Newegg.

The only time they sent an incorrect item, it was in my favor. Two years ago I ordered an FIC VA-503+. Then the IT woman at my job gave me an old ATX case (score!). I immediately called and changed the order to a Soyo SY-5EMA+ (luckily the FIC motherboard was on backorder) Then they sent a K7VTA-B, which cost approximately $30.00 more. I was disappointed at first, since I couldn't go home and do an upgrade that night. But I kept it and bought an 800 Duron off of ebay, and never looked back.

Their Reseller Ratings aren't the best, but they aren't the worst either. Where are these horror stories from? Do you have a link?

repo man11 said:
I've always had good luck with TD.
Thank you for posting that repo man11

Here's what other people said:

Originally posted by: doinmybestatlast: Whenever I had to call to them about a problem or need further information on an order I felt the slime ooze through the phone! I order tech products for the company I work for and I vowed never to use them again, even before I heard about the scams they pulled. When I heard about the scams I knew that the feeling I had dealing with them was right on. Do yourself a favor - do not buy from them, do not post their products. I have to RMA products all the time. Never had a problem with the traditional good companies like Fry's Staples OD OM Newegg Computergeeks SVC CC Best Buy and many others. I can imagine trying to get an RMA or rebate from TD. Your nightmare has only begun....[/Q]

Don't rely on people saying they got their rebates from TigerDirect. They are a minority.
More than likely, this deal will cost you the full initial out of pocket price.

Here's why:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=891451]

Every single time there's a Tiger Direct post, we get someone saying:
"Duuuh, I never had any problems, duh."

Then we have average Joe reading the thread saying
"See, he never had any problems, see?"

Then we see Joe placing an order with Tiger Direct because of that.

Finally, a couple of weeks after a Tiger Direct deal is posted we get this:Originally posted by: tcsenter: Well I got mine, but it was DOA. So I had to box it up and ship it back to TD.
IT FIGURES!

Here's a post from a week ago at Anandtech Hot Deals forum:

I see posts just like this all the time!

Originally posted by: Lambretta76

The thing is - they billed my credit card for $132.69, the price of the drive for $119.99 and the $12.70 shipping. They did not notify me of a price change, and they simply just sent the drive out and decided to bill me how the felt fit to bill me. Is it just me, or is this entirely illegal. A CS rep I spoke to said that was what the price was, and that if I returned it, I would be charged a 15% restocking fee.

TigerDirect doesn't seem to care at all...

If you look at the large picture of the cpu its an RIRGA stepping. Who knows if that what will be sent but it does not look good.

At 6.78 they are well behind Newegg, that is for certain.

I wouldn't buy anything from them I could buy at Newegg, that's been the case since I found out about Newegg. But I have had about 15 to 20 orders to them that were fine. And I count the one where they sent me a better motherboard than I paid for (for no additional charge) as gravy.

Things change, they may have gotten worse since I last ordered from them.

Unfortunately for Canadians, I don't think there is a Newegg Canada yet.

yeah although back i nteh day when i ordered parts from them i had good luck, i wouldnt deal with them anymore.. it seems hit-or-miss when ordering from them

and the other half of it is that they usuaully sell you 2nd tier stuff, which is why their prices seem to be competitive

Judging by the picture, it's a Tbred A. You don't want that..

thouroughbred.jpg

I built a system earlier this summer for the office. It had a 1600+ T-Bred from Mwave.com. I didn't check for codes or anything, so I assume it was an A model. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Back