• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

home made ducting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

da-gokesta

what do you use for making ducting? i used an 80mm fan w/out the fan in it then mounted another one on top of it. this dropped my temps about 3 degrees. i am also wondering where i would get teh type of ducting to run air directly from the outside of my case to my cpu fan. im in a small town and would like to buy it loaclly. would a place like menards have this type of ducting?

I used a 4" pvc coupler with the stop in the middle dremeled out for my side 120 duct to my cpu. Worked nicely when i was running air. Dropped temps like 4c. If you go dryer ducting, dont get the ones based on a spiral wire, too much turbulance. Get the kind that is like a ready made tube. Some tin snips or heavy duty scissors can cut u up a nice duct. Leave little tabs on one end and punch a hole in them and you have a mount to mount it directly to the fan.

i would be doing something with that now, except that my psu died this morning, so now im without my computer and im on my borthers, thanks

squeakygeek said:
I've heard of people using a fast food soda cup to go from their cpu to the side of their case.

LOL.......... Then you can call the maker of the product..... a.k.a. Coke and ask for sponsorship money! Just think of the NEW revenue ideas now! :drool:

I use plastic tubes for making home-made speaker boxes. $3Can at the flea market and they've got a lip around the end that'll cove up any minor unevenness in the holes cut for the tube.
Duct2.jpg

forget about aircooling and just invest your money on a watercooling system for about $150. You won't have to spend much ever on cooling gear, and you'll get better performance.

well i am getting a wc setup for one of my systems, but im also in the process of building a seti farm so im thinking about cooling other computer on air

eXCeSS said:
that stuff looks awesome, is there anywhere in the us to get it cheap?
Any place where they sell the individual components to make your own home-made car speaker box should have them, in several sizes too. I used to have a smaller 2" tube ducted to my old K6-2 fan.

Cardboard is great for testing ideas with, if it doesn't work or you've got something misalligned well at least you didn't ruin a perfectly good side panel. And if you get it right then you can use the cardboard as a template (at least for side panel holes you can, other mods may prove too difficult).

Back