• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blower fans, any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marklar

Registered
Blower fans seem to be high pressure, low noise and cool looking, so what's the catch?

They also look really easy to duct straight to an intake.

Then there's the Zalman flower where the fan just blows a gentle breeze on it.

Are the weird looking Zalman's with the big fans any good or is everyone trying to tempt me with something that looks a bit different?

The catch with blowers is they have very low cfm this makes them next to useless for case fans but the fact that they dont have a blind spot in the middle like normal fans do kinda makes up for the low cfm when you use them on a hsink.

I didn't think they'd be any good as case fans. A nice big one sitting on top of the case would look nice though.

The advantage I see is that cfm is rated with no resistance and when you're pushing air through a heatsink there is resistance so a higher pressure would help.

here he comes with the britney again..... tis getting on my nerves

back to topic, i wouldnt use a blower fan as a case fan, since all the advantage its got over normal case fans is the abscence of a dead spot in the middle, which happens to be the part that is in contact with the cpu.... funny world aint it :rolleyes:
BUT! since case fans dont mind where they put the air at, as long as its in or out, theres no bad effect because of the dead spot.

my 2 cents

yeah...like slater said, those types of fans would only be good on a hs and would just totally suck *** if it were on a case...wouldnt help much
________
Paxil Injury Lawyer

Last edited:
Zalmans are free of gimmicks! :)

And seriously, would you stop blabbing about the so-called "Britney" CPU! I Google your nonsense and I come up with this!

That flower heatsink is probably only good for running a silent system. I wouldn't use that on any overclocked cpu. Maybe a slower chip, undervolted, and running stock speeds.

i think there are a couple of forum memberse that have adapted their side panels to support a decently sized blower fan which replaced all the other fans they used to have and they're happy with it since teh end result was a quieter solution and the temps went down noticibly... i just forget who they are...

but it does make your case more bulky because it then ahs a large fan stuck on teh side sticking out...

i think for case airflow, if you don't want to go into some more serious case modding, just using 120mm or efficient fans is good enough since you just want to have a steady flow or air coming through your system as long as your ambient is fine

there's a couple blower pics in the case mod gallery under alt modding if you feel like looking

[off.topic.start]
and last time I searched for that britney thing I came up with even more funky stuff... everything from bartons on ebay to pr0n sites, lol. so its bogus as always.[off.topic.end]

Kino: Here who comes with the Britney again?

All my Britney comments are innuendos for the dirty minded.

Anyway, back to blowers. I'm thinking one or 2 big slow revving blowers on the top of the case would look cool (and double as a pencil sharpener). I'd probably duct one of them straight to the CPU. Then I'd block up the other holes and just have the PSU fan as an exhaust (I don't really see the point in exhaust fans).

In theory, if you raise the case pressure the air will absorb more heat from metal but I doubt it makes much difference in practice.

BTW, you're probably wondering about airflow problems with having the fans on the top. Well you know those acrylic cases that come in a flat pack with a load of instructions you can't be bothered to read. I assembled mine upside-down with the base and lid swapped (the only different is the holes for the feet). Then I realised that it was a much better way to arrange things so that's how it's staying.

my comments were mocking a certain someone..in refernce to always talking about something that doesnt exist...but thats another story for another board

anyways, back to topic.

as mentioned above with blowers is that they dont move as much air as standard fans. so using it to cool your proc might not be the best idea. also not sure what you mean by that case pressure thing but the pressure in my case is enough to suck the side panel on from a few inches away but it doesnt run any cooler o_O.

the blowers would make some good semi quiet exhaust systems though. and yes, double as a pencil (or finger) sharpener if you needed it.

Also I agree with the fans on top thing. going to be doing that with my new case infact (to 80mm blowholes, for quieter airflow) will probably also add 1-2 iinto the bottom of case. since it will be sitting atleast an inch or two off the ground, to get a nice straight through airflow.

marklar said:
Kino: Here who comes with the Britney again?

All my Britney comments are innuendos for the dirty minded.

Anyway, back to blowers. I'm thinking one or 2 big slow revving blowers on the top of the case would look cool (and double as a pencil sharpener). I'd probably duct one of them straight to the CPU. Then I'd block up the other holes and just have the PSU fan as an exhaust (I don't really see the point in exhaust fans).

In theory, if you raise the case pressure the air will absorb more heat from metal but I doubt it makes much difference in practice.

BTW, you're probably wondering about airflow problems with having the fans on the top. Well you know those acrylic cases that come in a flat pack with a load of instructions you can't be bothered to read. I assembled mine upside-down with the base and lid swapped (the only different is the holes for the feet). Then I realised that it was a much better way to arrange things so that's how it's staying.

I think you mean star882.. Im pretty sure alot of people want him banned for always posting useless comments

I suggest going to a hardware store that sells surpluss blowers and attaching one to the top of your case. I can get a nice 500cfm blower (120v) for abot $50cdn

Back