• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blazing non-OC'd CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raticus

Hi all -

I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, and even with a HSF (obviously), my CPU idles at 140F (60C). When I compile large projects or doing any other CPU intensive task, it could reach 158F (70+C). The other day, I got as high as 172F before my mobo's safety features kicked in and "pulled the plug."

What I'd like to do is buy the Coolermaster HHC001 and some Arctic Silver 3 and pray.

However, I have a few questions:
1. Is the Coolermaster HHC001 sufficient for my cooling needs?, and
2. Will it fit my mobo (ASUS A7V333)?

Please respond... I dunno how much longer my CPU can stand to run at these temps.

Thanks. :)
-Michael

Yes, but the question is: will it fit my ASUS A7V333? I noticed some people said they had difficulties with it, as the heatpipe extended out quite a bit, and the thumb-clip was a bit large (though very convenient).

-M

would you be upen to using other hs/f combos?

the sk7/thermaltake smart fan2 combo is highly recommended here...which might be a couple more dollars...

i'd also give the vantec aeroflow a mention also for around $25

personally i spung for teh coolermaster aero 7 lite, and while its a very repsecatable combo, the noise/performance ratio isnt up to par... even though each CFM seems more effective due to teh fandesign.....

but to make sure the hhc-001 fits your mobo try searching the news groups via news.google.com or this forum to see if anyone has done it.....

also look into getting a small tube of artic silver 3, its a thermal paste that should be useful in reseating your hs/f

good luck!

Regarding the ThermalRight SK7 -- if I use that, coupled with a highspeed 80mm fan, do you think I'll need a front intake fan? Currently, I have a front intake and rear "outtake" fan.

If I got the SK7 what I'd do is probably take my front intake and mount it on top of the massive sink.

Thoughts?

-M

When you order the SK-7 (Of course get that Thermalright) you can buy fans for a dollar or two. 80x25mm fans.

How's installation on the SK7?

Also, re: the fan for it... my one concern is that my power supply might struggle under the load of another 80mm fan. Since I'm not OC'ing at this point (if the SK7 cools down my proc sufficiently, I'll definitely consider it) can I just use my current front intake fan? Also, these 80mm fans in my case right now make such a racket, I cringe at the thought of a 3rd - though I can live with noise. ;)

-M

cherryp00t: it's certainly possible. I didn't build this rig; it came built by the manufacturer (ABS PC -- www.abspc.com). It's possible they didn't apply thermal compound, or that the sink isn't sitting right.

RedDawg: I'm not sure how to tell. I'll give you my current setup to give you an idea, though. :)
The PSU is rated 300W, and my setup is:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
GeForce4 Ti4400
WD 80GB (8MB cache)
512MB PC2700 DDR
40/12/48 CD-RW
16X DVD
SB Audigy
10/100 NIC, 56K modem
80x80x25 high speed front/rear fans

Hope I'm not forgetting anything. :)
-M

Raticus said:
How's installation on the SK7?

Also, re: the fan for it... my one concern is that my power supply might struggle under the load of another 80mm fan.

-M
[/QUOTE

What is your current pwr supply like? 300, 350? 400??
what type of 80mm fans did you put into your rig which would cause such havoc onto your pwr supply?

Tipically, Case fans don't consume that much wattage/volts that would cause your pwr supply to struggle... Unless you've got a couple of Vantec Tornados pushing 84CFM's on that rig...]

lol, no, then it'd sound like a friggin hurricane in here.
I'm using Sunon 80x80x25 "ultra-high-speed" front and rear fans.

-M
Edit: see above post for PSU wattage. :)

Shaaa it man! I've got 4 of those HighSpped Sunon's on my 2nd rig (one in the sig) plus a tornado 92mm (119CFM) all going on. You haven't heard shaa it like mine makes noise! :)

It just may be that there's an insufficient HEATSink on your rig, and possible the thermal pad that may have come with your HS isn't doing it's job sufficiently to make contact between the cpu and HS surface. Either way, going with the SK-7 with Smartfan2 is the best combo... even the Vantec Aeroflow will cool that puppy down outright with the quietest fan I've seen. Hell dude, goto www.newegg.com and look at the CPU fans there, you'll see the SK's and Aeroflow... the Aeroflow comes with a newly design fan TMD... read up on it... you can't go wrong.

Well... everywhere I looked had GLOWING recommendations of the SK-7, so I ordered that puppy, along with a small tube of AS3.

I figure if that **** doesn't do the trick, I may as well just nuke my proc. ;)
-M

when you finally get you HS/Fan combo, get a good look at your cpu, and annote the code/stepping/any details about your proc. figuring out if you got one of those Tbred B xp2200.

So I put the TR sink on.
This thing is HUGE, but saying "it gets the job done" is an understatement! :)

MBM5 seems to be a bit problematic in reporting the correct temperature in WinXP, but my BIOS is showing the temperature of my proc to be anywhere between 107F-111F. Pretty impressive.

Back