• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding my case with dremel or other tool, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

I am about to have a case mod done and I was wondering what parts to buy, like which dremel (or other equivalent rotary tool)and what precautions or steps i should take to modding my case. I was thinking of putting a blowhole on the bottom of my front bezel, because there is a place to put the 80 mm fan (btw, im buying a thermaltake smart fan II, which i hear is very good), but there is no ventilation on the bottom of the front bezel, which is quite confusing because there are ventilation holes on the inside of the case for the fan, but not on the outside on the front bezel. Anyways, i wanted to know how to tackle this project, what i should use, and so on. If there are any other websites that can help me out, it would be great if someone put up a few links. I was also thinking of putting a blowhole on the left side of my case to blow over my video card's heatsink (in my sig), which is only passive cooling with a VERY puny little heatsink. Any help would be great, please post some info, thanks guys.
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited:
I'm not completely sure of what you mean by front bezel, but if your talking about the bottom of the front face of your computer, sometimes cases will have a place to mount the fan on the inside of the case, and the air will go through the metal part, and then down, underneath the plastic front. Good choice with the smartfan II.

When you do it, be patient. When my friend and I cut a hole in his case, we just had to take it slow. Whenever we tried to go too fast, the cutting wheels would grind down real fast or shatter. You could make a pass as a guide, then another pass or two. Then you can start cutting all the way through the metal, this will save you discs. Also, when you cut it I would remove the components from the case. If you don't you run the risk of getting metal dust all over them, which could be terrible. I took a shop vac to mine for a few minutes before I put the components back into the case. Hope this helped.

You MUST empty your system before cutting. The dust gets everywhere and there is tons of it. Getting some in a pci or memory slot would be what I'd consider bad.

yes, definitely remove your components....better safe than sorry...measure and draw out what you're gonna do, then take your time using the dremel...cut just close enough to your outline, then use a sanding wheel to smoothen it out to the outline...cut out the mesh/grills, they restrict airflow....

If you use a nibbler, have some ice ready for your hand. Or maybe wear a glove, and switch hands so you don't end up with one huge forearm.

:)

If you want to go all out get a Foredom 1/4 Horse
Flexshaft. lynk*

Have one myself and they are vastly superior to
a Dremel IMhO.
Don't get me wrong. ... I have used a Dremel for years but
it just doesn't have the power you need for really big jobs.
Not only that, the foot control is a real blessing.

If you are short on ca$h then go with Jibjo's suggestion.
Nothing like good pair of Wiss tin snips. (tip: you need a left & right pair)
Those nibblers don't come close. :p

hey guys..ive been wondering, wat does imho mean?? and one other thing, i only wanna cut the front of my case open on the bottom to make a circular hole for the front bottom fan to work just a bit more efficient, and i wanted to know if i could use a cheaper tool for cutting plastic open..thx
________
BBW Webcam

Last edited:
i think a regular old dremel should do the trick. make you you get a DREMEL brand dremel and not some cheap rip off. The only other rotatry tool id suggest is the Black&Decker RTX.

Just use a little imagination and you should have a nice looking case mod in no time =)

Just go for the multi-speed. Even if you don't need it for that exact job, you may need it later. It also helps to be able to slow it down as you finish off a cut, in my humble opinon.

If I get this right (bezel) Plastic Cover on comp.case.;Case ,made of metal.I'd remove bezel from case to cut it w/holesaw low RPM.
Cut sheet metal out on case w/tin snips.Place fan against case front;mark inside of fan shroud to case w/fine tip marker .Hope this is helpful, Archilochus

We recently moved and I can't find my dremel tool. So I bought a nibler tool from radio shack for $10. This has done a decent job on cutting openings for case fans and such. It's low-tech but still a useful tool. Also, if you're careful, you don't have to completely strip everything out of the case. The nibler leaves 1/16 x 1/8 pieces of metal which aren't too bad to vacuum out of the case. It works for thin sheet metal and plastic with no dust; nice for small, quick jobs.

if you ain't cuttin metal then get a drill with a 1/8" bit and drill holes in the plastic front cover of the case infront of the fan mounts(sounds like what you're doing) i just drilled about 16 lil holes in the plastice and got GREAT airflow..no need for a massive hole when several smaller holes will look better and do just as good(might be able to post pics soon once i find the wire to load pics on here with)

hey guess wat, i just bought a multi speed corded dremel yesterday, and i also modded the front of my plastic bezel, i already cut all the metal on the inside of the case with a pair of wire cutters ( if u get a good enough pair that is big enough, they cut thru thin metal pretty well, its just not that pretty ) and i also cut a hole out on the front bottom with the smaller cut out tool that comes with the kit on the dremel, i feel that i did a pretty good job on it, considering its my first time, i just cut the hole out, then finshed it off with the weird looking cylindrical looking sander to finish off the rough edges, no more whining from sf II anymore!!, btw, i need some other ideas to mod my case, i was thinking about modding my side panel so a centrifugal blower i.e.... a tmd fan or something like it woukld blow cool air from the room directly onto the hs fan..any suggestions?? another question is...is the dril bit that comes with the dremel powerful enough to cut thru steel? for soem reason, the steel in my case is incredibly cheap and is bent easily with a pair of pliers, also, would the dremel be able to cut thru it??
________
JAILBROKEN

Last edited:
Back