• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 x80mm vs 1 x120mm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Well?

this is for my rad - i got a Dtek Pro Combo Rad - it came with a fitting to use 1 x120 mm fan - but since i am building my own external box and since i dont havea 120mm fan i was thinking go with 4 x80mm fans.

Would this be better? the fans run about 2722 RPM each so that x4

How can i determine the airflow for that?

Suggestions?

I may go power house here and do 8 x 80mm fnas 4 intake 4 sucking out...

Well if your rad's sized for one 120mm fan then 80mm fans in a 2X2 layout will have some serious spillover, to have them fit just right you'd need to use 60mm fans. 120mm fans should be easy enough to find, easier than making your own custom shrouds to fit 4 80mm fans. I'd say see if you can find a 120mm fan in the CFM/noise ratio that you can live with and get that. Just my 2 cents.

:)

actuall the RAD came witha shourd and the 4 80mm fit almost perfect to the size of the rad

the rad's dimmensions are 6 inches across , 2inches wide and about 8" high

this is why i figured 4 80mm.

also since i am doing my own external i was going to make a shroud anyways for the fans to the rad to be sure i get the best air flow possible.

I know but with an external box you'd need to either let there be some spillover (or blowback if straight shrouded) or have a tapered shroud that'll compress the squre surface flowspace down to the size of the rad, and even then there's bound to be some blowback. I've got a 93 'stang core myself and I can fit 1.6 120mm fans on each side. I weighed tapering down a pair of 120's on each side (I'm running one 120mm currently with room to spare) but having tapered case fans in the past and not getting good results if the angle is too steep I've decided to go with a pair of 92mm fans on each side of my rad once it's in it's new case. And since his rad is perfect for one 120mm then going with a single 120mm on each side is my recommendation. It's just my opinion. Feel free to weigh it as you see fit.

Mr.Guvernment said:

actuall the RAD came witha shourd and the 4 80mm fit almost perfect to the size of the rad

the rad's dimmensions are 6 inches across , 2inches wide and about 8" high

this is why i figured 4 80mm.

also since i am doing my own external i was going to make a shroud anyways for the fans to the rad to be sure i get the best air flow possible.
I was still typing when you replied this. Well if they'll fit then by all means use 'em. As for determining the airflow just look up the serial number on the manufacturer's site (or google the serial number if the brand isn't readily identifiable) and then multiply by four.

^^^

sweeet :)

i want air flowwww..lol

i am likely going to do major over kill on this external box, but heck it is my first and one i will look back on and say - WTF was i thinking

but yes the 4 80mm together cover the rad surface with perhaps 1mm all around of the rad over hang so i should be good!

thnx for the replay and time!

I would use a 120mm fan b/c of the noise/cfm ratio. Maybe you could find a 160 or 192mm fan to use. muahahha!

noise is not a hugr thing for me really - i am so used to comps running - one i got here as 6 fans howling away - at one point i had a dell poweredge server in my room for about 2 months!

did not bother me ONE bit :)

heck, once when i was @ my g-ma's house a car crashed throught the front patio - took our the auning (roof) part and stop about 2 feet from my windows - i did not even notice it happened until i woke up a few hours later :D

Back