• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I want to know what heatsinc I should go with. I am getting a processor that I may very well overclock, either a 1700+ or a Barton (I am asking for advice in that area in another thread), and my Volcano 11 I have right now will be passed on to another person and I kinda want something that is more effective, less noisy.

I could go with a ThermalRight SLK-800U. It mounts through the motherboard, but still that is one hunk of copper. I'll tie that in with a Smartfan 2 and get a fan controller for the front of my case.

However, I am worried about that decision because I am a college student. I take my case back and forth from home a few times a year, and I live in the country. It isn't exactly a smooth trip and having 500+ grams of copper yanking on the motherboard and perhaps causing tremendous damage isn't a great idea. However, I don't know if it will cause damage and the Volcano 11 isn't light either (like 450 grams, or so?) and that is on pins. So, thus I throw the question out to the community, what heatsync would you recommend and how would it work with me (moving and alike)?

By the way, A7N8X Deluxe Asus motherboard is getting this heatsync, so I can take the motherboard mounting. Also, being a pricey board, I don't want a heatsync damaging it. So, please give me some advice!

i have a vantec aeroflow rigged on a fan controller, i think it's 380 grams, not sure though...

on a cool day my temps are 27c idle and like 37c load

on a normal/hotter day my temps are like 5c higher

i usually have my cpu fan turned down for minimum noise and my temps never get over 58c even under load

I would get the SLK-800U, the motherboard mounting will make it plenty secure and it will fit your mobo with out a problem (as far as their website says), the 900 won't, however it looks like there is this SLK-947 thing on there that fits all mobo's as far as they know and is big like the 900, you might wanna look more into that.

yea i agree with crash, if you use the screws, i don't think you are gonna have a problem with something being crushed unless the ride is very very bumpy

I would also go with the through-mobo mounting with the 800. I would get some foam or towels wrapped in some anti-static bags to put inside the case and surround the heatsink with it, for EXTRA security while transporting.

Back