• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"sweetspot"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacheatamobits

okay, i got my gaming rig back, and its got a AGOIA "y" 1600... its pretty fried. my computer reboots randomly. it has a chipped core, and has been exposed to temps upwards of like 70 C!i think the chip makes "errors" seeing as i cant even burn a cd and 3d gaming causes random crashes. im almost positive its not my memory, but if i ran some tests, could i know for sure?anyway... its too slow, so...

i need to know what chip to get that has the best preformance/cost ratio.

it seems the 2500 barton is the way to go, BUT i only have a volcano 9.

i was kind of hoping to get 3.0 Ghz, but what chip would i need to get to do at least 2.5 (with the volcano 9)

or should i invest in a better hsf?

running msi kt4 (1/5 divider, bleh!), 512 of corsair cas2 pc 3200.

I am wondering the same thing. Although my cooling options are more flexible....

i think the opular picks on this forum are

1. 1700+ tbred-b from excaliburpc, and gameve?

2. 2100+ tbred-b from newegg

3. 2500+ barton from wherever

seems like the first two choices o/c to similiar levels around 2.4-2.5 on great air cooling

the bartons seem to average a bit lower than the t-breds but some still prefer to have the extra cache....

you can always buy a processor.. see how far teh volcano will take you.......

and if yo uwant more.. yo ucan invest in better cooling

You might want to go for a Tbred B if you are not confident in your HSF. 3.0Ghz would be a bit much but the $40 you save now could be put into a good HSF that would be useful if you decide to go for the Barton down the road.

BTW: what are you using for cooling now?

Ja-man, what's the specs on your gaming rig, after you got it back? how long ago did you set this up as a gaming rig? post up your specs on your rig, and we may be able to poiint you in the right directions. You planning on OC'ing your future CPU, then go with an sk-7/slk700 if you can, with smartfan2 combo for starters.

okay, i built it last year.

msi kt4 ultra (1/5 divider, no pci lock)
XP1600+"Y"
512 megs corsair xms pc 3200 cas 2
g4 ti4200@ 285/595 or something...
Tt volcano 9, smart fan I

chieftec case- generic 420 watt psu<---i was thinking this was the problem. all my voltages are too high or low (like my -5.0 volt is -4.82) but it doesnt matter now.

im tempted to get a new mobo w/ a pci lock. seing as im getting a new case (this one is way too big) thats a different story.

I would get a 1700+ and invest in a better cooler rather than get a 2500+ with a Volcano 9.

Also any Nforce2, even a cheap one like mine would be better for ocing.

your best bet would be nforce2 board as stated above... depending on how much tweaking options or goodies you want on your board, it's up to you. Your mem module will server you well for the next board so you need a better cooler for the cpu. if there's a FRY's Electronics Store nearby, check out their specials, I picked up 2 xp1800's that does 2.4GHz... excaliberpc.com has the xp1700 with gaurantee stepping JIUHB 0310 for $70.00 or so.
check around, check out the Mobo forums to get a feel for which mobo you want to invest on.

i would go with the 1800+ from excal seeing as they dont carry the 1700+ with the jiuhb dlt3c stepping any more :( the 1800+ should do about the same if not better also go with an slk800 or an sk7 with a good high flow fan smart fan2 od a delta (tornado if u can withstand the loud noise) also if ur gonna buy a mb make sure u get 1 with a pci lock u dont wanna cook the board with high fsb..... look for a epox 8rda+ or what ever it is they are like 80 bucks i think (someone correct me if i am wrong) that would be ur best bet and u should get 2.3 at least

yeah id have to agree, the NF2 would really help, and if you get one with PCI lock that can easily add 40mhz+ to your OC but even with that i doubt you could get an OC to 3ghz (with air cooling anyway) I've gotten my 2400+ (2.0ghz) up to 2.46ghz using air cooling with a coolermaster HHC-001 HSF. (I'm not gonna buy anything better because im saving my money for watercooling)

well, my cpu isnt fried after all. it turns out that having the smart-fan conected to the motherboard was "stealing voltage" right from the cpu! that was causing the random resets/crashes!

im running the cpu fan direcly off a molex now.

but i still need more speed. ive got about $400 to spend here, and i would hate to end up with a whole bunch of leftover parts, but a new cpu is critical.

having no pci lock hurts, and seeing as i have matched pair of 256-pc3200, the nf2 would be the best route.

since i am also going to use this for video editing, the extra L2 cache of the Barton would be nice.
AND wouldnt the 1700 hold me back, seeing as it has a 266Mhz FSb?

i guess to keep money low, go w/ an Abit Nf7-S mobo, and spend a little xtra on the 2500 barton(my brother picked one up yesterday, very nice, thinking of getting one for my second pc), as far as cooling, the heatsink is fine, just mod a better fan on it, most would suggest a thermaltake smart fan 2, which is adjustable up to 75cfm, plus you'll have enough for better ram in the end

1: IF you are going to stick with the KT4 mobo then a barton 2500+ cooled by a sk7/TT SmartFan2 combo. That'll cost around $130 US at newegg.com. Left over cash can be sunk into a far better video card.

2: IF you really, really want a inorbit OC then go for the 1700+ from excaliber and use a epox or abit NForce2 rev2 motherboard with a high quality, high power, power supply and a massive SLK HSF. this will be the more expensive option by far.

The performance difference from those two options in real world use may not even be noticed. If it is then the difference is going to be slight from the end user's point of view. Still if you are willing to spend the money go for a option two useing a barton CPU instead of the TBred-B. best of both worlds.

Last edited:
im staying with this mobo for now, and i got a 2500 barton from newegg today...

im going over to cooling to find out what ill need.

btw im happy with this vid card. i got some very decent frame rates even with this 1600+.

still, for $85, this 2500 barton is just asking for it. imma push it just as hard as the 1600, and it will prob'ly only last a year also.

this time im not going to skimp on a poor hsf.

*edit BTW akula, i got the same score in 3dmark. no joke

Back