• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for cooling advice (to wc or not to)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El-Scotto

Hey all!
I dont know if any of you have seen my last thread from a couple days ago but this is kinda different :p anyways heres what I am hoping my system will look like:

Case: Aspire Blue X-Dreamer
CPU : 2100+
Mobo: nf7-2 rev2.0
Ram: not sure yet (looking at Mushkin)
HD: Western Digital 80 Gb
VC: Radeon 9800 pro

Well with all of that there I am trying to get a quiet system and overclock a little bit... I dont know much about what fans are good and are quiet, so if anyone has any opinions and suggestions feel free to leave em
:cool:
*edit*
I'd prefer to keep the price below $200 if possible

watercooling in a X-Dreamer would be cramped. on the flip side, i seriously doubt you will be able to pump that 2100+ with enough voltage to get past 2.5Ghz if you don't watercool. if you are deadset on it, find a larger case. if not, i recommend either the slk800 or sk7.

with the right cooling that chip should be able to hit 2.5Ghz easily.

You could probably get a wc setup for under 200 dollars. A whitewater costs around 60, a pump 30-65 depending on the one you get, tubing aroudn 15 bucks, clamps a few bucks, radiator for 20 bucks, fans for 20 bucks. Those are the main parts, if you want to wc.

zabomb4163 said:
with the right cooling that chip should be able to hit 2.5Ghz easily.

All Processors are Different. While you may be able to get 400ghz out of one processor, you might not get 2mhz out of another chip of the same speed. Just wanted to keep him from putting his hopes to high and finding out he has a processor not capable of outrageous speeds.

I would also agree with Zabomb that it would get cramped in an X-dreamer. I'd reccomend that you go with a SLK-800 or 900u Setup and put a tornado on there. Invest or build a rheostat for the loud tornado, and you'll be set. Theres always the SmartFan, also.

while i dont need to push it that far im going to try to anyways for fun :p im pretty set on the case for this computer...i was thinking if i went water to make it an external unit

what are the slk 800 and 900u? fans? sorry for my noobishness here :p

They're sinks, you can see how most of the sinks available on the market stack up against one another here.

thanks eo, so far would I be wrong to assume that the general consensus (sp?) is that I should go with fans rather than external WCing?

Go watercooling if you want a quiet system. You can do it for about $180. You won't ever have to spend much on cooling stuff again and it will be whisper quiet. Think about all the little things you bought for cooling over the years. It adds up quickly. I'd just spend the money on a WC setup.

actually this is the first time ive ever really put together or modified one actually other than installing a graphics card or network card :p never played around with oc'ing or cooling :p

about how mch would a fan cooling system run me if i want to be able to overclock a decent amount?

Back