• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my XP2500@3ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Hey, PLEASE help me out here..I am buying an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and an Asus A7n8x-dx rev 2.0. and Corsair ram. I have water cooling from Koolance, and plan on doing some serious mods to it such as supping up the 2 pumps, and using metal tubing, and adding more fans on the radiater. I know what your saying "3ghz, what a noob" but I ensure you that I will get very close if not over the 3ghz hurdle. I am not sure on if I want to go with upping the FSB or the multiple though..or both at the same time..and could you your advice on that..and also the Vcore..I have no experience with Vcore..and I will b buying a Vantec 420watt psu, so there is no problem there..and also any advice on my video card project (GF4 Ti4200 with a P4 3.2ghz heatsink and volcano fan)? I am a smart noob, and WILL appreciate all advice that you have.. :) thank you..

John(xxfoxyjohnyxx -aim)

I don't know man, they say Abit is better than Asus as far as overclocking on nForce2 goes.
They also say this RAM goes further
twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html

When I was researching overclocking nVidia's, this is what I did:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186090

Two schools on Vcore. Some say 1.8x is where you should stop for permanent OC due to long term degradation of maximum attainable OC. Others advise higher with water cooling.

yeah I hear wonders about Abit and overclocking, but Asus seems to be overall the best around..and I have a lot of their mobos, and so far no complaints at all..and I'm not worried about not having my same CPU for 10 years..I'd buy a new one every year if it burned out..because 3ghz is something... :)

As far as the RAM goes I think that I'll stick with Corsair because I hear that they are very reliable, and will never break down..the ram that you showed me is only 2.5 also, I like 2.0 :)

And for the video card, I think that I'd rather just use something like "Power strip" to overclock it..any complaints on that? I don't feel compfortable with erasing a $150 video card's bios...

Thanks..please, more posts.. :D

3ghz will be hard to do with water most ppl with water are lucky to get 2.5 outa bartons the only 3ghz+ athlons i have seen were hard core cooling (permetia or peltier) if u use the water to cool a pelt then u might stand a chance. will u be using chilled watter? then ur range is upped a bit 2.6 (maby) with the pelt then 2.7-8 range if ur lucky. the other thing u want to think about the asus stops at 1.8v last time i checked (may have been upped in a bios update) and abit is 2.3 so that might change ur mind with that..... i did some testing with my 1700+ and a pelt a while back it was able to do 2.7 but not very stable.....also up the fsb as high as it will go for better preformance just another tip if using corsair pc3500 or 3700 u should able to run 230-235 thats about all nforce2's are good for if luck 245.... if u wanna hit 3 ghz go with a pelt and ur water cooler u can pick up peltiers for cheap just a psu to push them is expensive...i just hope u can hit what u want to :) gl with ur overclocking (ooh and another thing get a water block for ur vid card u can overclock it better than with that p4 hs :p

hope this helps
(V)estra

he is right about cool bits no need in changing the bios on ur ti4200 just use coolbits saves time and money :p

another thing i thought to get 3ghz ur gonna prolly need alot more than 2.3vcore more like 3vcore now that i think about it at 2700 mhz i needed more than 2.3 to keep it stable which i did not do b/c i dont wanna mod my mb all i can say is be careful when doing this u dont want to have a dead cpu and board and with that much voltage ur looking for trouble just my thoughts

Yup, listen to the guys above and you won't be too disapointed. I don't think I've ever seen a watercooled barton (non chilled and no peltier) go far over 2.6ghz.

Twinmoss pc3200 with bh-5 chips has traditionally been the best ram for nf2 motherboards. Even though it is rated as cas 2.5 it would go alot higher then corsair at 2-2-2-5. I think it's not being produced anymore though.

Thanks guys..if I can't do it then I can't do it..but I sure as ____ am going to try..

Coolbits sounds like an excellent idea to me, I think that I will use that..I don't want to add the vcard to my ware cooler though because I want to use its full strength on the CPU..

WHAT IS A PELT?

I have no idea, my water will not be chilled, just standard stuff that came with Koolance(its more like antifreeze) and I said I was modding my water cooler..

I am interested in mobo mods.. :) especially increasing the Vcore on an Asus mobo..

I want an Nforce2 ultra chipset in my mobo, can you guys tell me the best one, as of now I'm getting the Asus A7N8X-DX Rev. 2.0

Thanks, more feedback PLEASE! :-D

John..

Foxie3a said:
I want an Nforce2 ultra chipset in my mobo, can you guys tell me the best one

We did. ABIT NF7 or NF7-S v2.0 Motherboard.

You asked me to go on AIM in your PM but you're not there.

Foxie3a said:
I want an Nforce2 ultra chipset in my mobo, can you guys tell me the best one, as of now I'm getting the Asus A7N8X-DX Rev. 2.0
the epox 8RDa+ is a very good nForce2 Ultra board if you dont need SATA or riad or any of that. it has Vcore fully adjustable to 2.2V, VDIMM up to 2.9V, VDD up to 2.0V, FSB up to 250MHz. its a steal @ $79 on www.newegg.com

3ghz on a pelt? lol. Close to 3ghz on a Prometia Mach II might be possible. Everything else (bartons and tbreds) I've ever seen at around 3ghz were using liquid nitrogen. And they were NOT using close to 3v core voltage! lol. Not to mention those were Barton 3200's and 3000's. The highest 2500 I've ever seen in my life was about 2.7 or 2.8.

A peltier is a thermo electric cooling device, basically a solid state heat pump that removes heat from one side and transfers it to the other side. It looks like a rectangular wafer. You may be able to hit 2.7ghz with a peltier if it is watercooled and chilled with a good custom kit. I suggest cascade, tc4, or white water water blocks.

Thanks, I already have my water cooling that is integrated into my case and I can't spend anymore money on that..I we're selling our house that is fairly close to silicon valley and we'll make a profit from that, hoping that my dad will be generous when it comes to my computers...hehe..but not for another case/cooling method..I have to stick with my cooler..I need suggestions on motherboards and on my steppings..and any good ideas for modding my water cooler.. :)

thanks guys..more posts needed. :-D

John.. (xxfoxyjohnyxx -aim)

No 3 GHz on anything short of a modded Prommy, IF you are VERY lucky, and probably not even then.

well, if your at 2400 with an air cooler..then me with a modded water cooler shouldn't be that far behind 3ghz..I read on www.tomshardware.com that they got it to 2.5ghz with air cooling..

Thanks..more feedback on steppings and motherboards to get along with water cooling mods.. :)

John..

I'm hearing that I should go with the Abit NF7-s 2.0 but I saw that its fsb is only upto 333..I thought that I'd want some more than that..and you for example..(steven4563) are at 220, is that 440 once its double pumped or what? I'm kinda a noob?

Keep the feedback comming in please.. :)

John..

best motherboard is by far the nf7-s.....most volt options and best overclocker.......as for ram I think you should consider some black level2 muskin 3500 if you wanna get near 3gHz....I know you can always jack up the multiplier but anything above 13 and you don't stand as good of a chance of hitting 3gHz.....as for modding that water cooling setup.....erm....I would change out that waterpump first and foremost....my friend has that exact setup and I get better temp with my cooling setup.....not to say you don't have potential.....I would get a maze3 waterblock a new waterpump ehiem......and some real large tubing......the radiator on that thing aint to shabby.....but I would switch out those 3 top fans with some higher cfm ones.......and for 3gHz I would also hook on a peltier.....then with all said and done you will be 3Ghz or darn close......thats IMO....the best chance you got......and hey an all integrated water/pelt system is purty sweet ;)

thanks, why is it unstable after a multiple of 13? why does it matter? and I can't afford any peltiers or whatever..I have the best Koolance case..its the huge one..almost gets to my hips..lmao..anyway..the larger tubing isn't compatible with the radiator..and what cfm are the fans that they put on it? I can get some 84cfm volcanoes.. :)

thanks..more feedback please...

John.

yes foxie3a its 220fsb then 440ddr :) i got to say i love this adata ram im only using 2.7V but i would go with the Abit-NF7-S thats for sure

oh btw u need a good psu :)

Back