• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! Did I crack my cpu hav

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mystypiy

HELP!!! Did I crack my cpu???????

Okay I just put in my new slk-900A.... Getting the previous heatsink off was definitely a battle, but the 900A went on okay. Well I hook the 92mm fan that I got with it up and my computer posts, but then windows fails to start!!! So did I crack my cpu or what?????????? It doesn't look cracked, but I don't know. The computer does the good beep saying everything is okay, and then it goes and says that the power on self test complete, now booting from operating system.... So then a screen comes up saying that windows didn't boot properly last time and do I want to try regular windows, last known good config, or safe mode. I've tried all three of these options and it always goes to a black screen for the first two and just stays there not changing or for safe mode it scrolls a list of stuff down like it usually does, but then it just stops and never continues!!! So what ON EARTH have I done to my computer??!!??!!

always, as stated above... reset your bios/cmos and start from the beginning in order to trouble shoot your rig. that way, if it boots up into windows on default settings. there's nothing wrong with your cpu.

Okay well I've just finished trying to use the Windows cd to boot, but it just freezes on the Setup is starting Windows screen. Do you know what could have caused this? Is there anything else I can do??? I haven't reset cmos, but I have gone into the bios and changed everything back to the way it came. Is there something else I can do or something else wrong?

If the thermal paste, artic silver 3 got on other parts of the cpu other than the die, could that cause the problems I'm having?

What would be the best way of removing thermal paste if it does get onto other parts of the cpu?

Arctic silver is capacitative and can result in signals being degraded, but only if it is all over the bridges or on the pins.

Okay, well I just thoroughly cleaned my cpu and heatsink, reseated it and the memory. Everything seems to be physically working, but I keep having the same problems....

With the windows setup cd in it loads all the setup files and just freezes once it says "Setup is starting Windows". It just stays like that.

When I don't use the cd, it freezes on the screen saying that windows didn't start properly and would I want to start in safe mode, last known good config, or normally. Whenever I hit enter in that screen it freezes or just turns black.

Okay guys I don't know what to do now!!! I don't know WHAT ON EARTH the problem is.... Help!!!

From your sig, you're OCing @2.4G. Try setting it back to the stock multi x FSB, and see if the problem goes away. If so, you will need to make some adjustment (Vcore, mem timing, Vdim, etc) to OC the CPU @2.4G.

I'd clear the cmos anyway even if you changed all the settings. sometimes a little thing gets changed in the bios that you wouldn't even suspect and things get all screwy

I've had that exact problem before.. it could be a lot of things actually (including hardware problems), when you start it at safe mode it locks up at mvp right?

edit: oh yeah I might as well put in my input, try disconnecting everything except for your cd-drive (even your hard drive), cpu, mem, and video card, see if it still locks up... if it does see if you can burrow a stick of ram in there. If it still locks up most likely it is your memory, I think back when I had this problem someone had the same problem and a simple new stick of ram did the trick. Also, it might also have to do with your cpu being cracked... when I had that problem it turned out that it was my duron 800, i must've put on my water block a bit crooked and cracked it a bit... windows XP wouldn't boot but windows 98 booted up fine. It did run a little bit hot though, on the 50 degrees celsius side, but rock stable. Good luck with that, hope this helps

Last edited:
Okay well I ran memtest today for 8 hours and it came up with one error, and that was it..... Tonight I just cleared cmos and have been trying the different sticks of ram with no luck. Its still doing the same thing....

So is it my cpu? Is there any way I can be sure? I don't have another one to test or another rig to try this one again, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to just fork over another $250 for a processor that may or may not need replacing.....

HELP!!!

Is the fan on the mobo header? If it is try using a molex connector. Sometimes having a powerful fan on a mobo header causes problems. Just my 2 cents

I appreciate any and all advice Cyrix, but I have tried hooking the fan to the molex and the same things just keep happening. I just don't know what to do. Plus buying a cheap mobo really isn't an option right now since i'm at my college....

Back