• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barton 2500+ spire whisperrock 47C ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vakum

Registered
Hey. I just purchased a cheap computer which I hoped to be able to overclock quite much. and at the same time be quite silent.
I got myself a barton XP2500+ and a 8rda3+ epox mobo, and a spire whisperrock 28cfm @ 2500 rpm, 21dB..

unfortunately my CPU is 47C when resting and 51C at full load? that CAN'T be normal??? no overclocking at all..... did I screw it up when applying Cooling paste between the CPU and the cooler, or did I just boought a terrible CPU-cooler?

//vakum

Welcome to the forums!

47°c and 51°c that sounds pretty normal to me.
Your cooler might be silent, but i'm afraid it's not very powerful.
The SK7 seems to be a great deal at the moment, inexpensive and great performance.

YviE

that's the cooling paste i used... but i had to remove some pre-applied paste on the cooler before that.... do'no if that migth have affected it ?!?! well well... so SK7 you say?? hmm I'll check that out...
BUT: If I now decide to keep this cooler, how high temperature can i let it be... i must get some extra power out of it.

taken from sticky in general hardware

<30*C - Ideal overclocking temperatures

30-40*C - Good temperatures. Will allow for some overclocking

40-50*C - An alright temp for a Load Temp. Doesn't leave much room for overclocking. Should still remain stable.

50-60*C - A touchy area. Your computer may be stable, but don't overclock.

>60*C - Get some better cooling or lower your overclock.

credit goes to Cluster

get a new fan for it...i have the falconrock on my 2nd rig and it's at 43C idle using the sf2 @ full tilt and a ducting mod...vcore's at 1.75....these are budget coolers...

these cpu's are designed to run hot, so don't worry about it if your temp is below 55

okayfine said:
these cpu's are designed to run hot, so don't worry about it if your temp is below 55

this is true but if you plan on oc'ing, you don't have any leeway...if not, then yeah, you're good to go...

i'll overclock to 60C, full load... hoping to reach at least 2000mhz..
Besides, I heard that a firend of mine is running his amd xp(???) at 80C with no problem (yet?) hehe

Vakum said:
i'll overclock to 60C, full load... hoping to reach at least 2000mhz..
Besides, I heard that a firend of mine is running his amd xp(???) at 80C with no problem (yet?) hehe

I seriously doubt a processor can run correctly at those speeds. The BIOS temp could be wrong though.
Anyway anything above 60°c is alarming for me, i wouldn't even run it at stock speeds with such temps.

YviE

Hello !
You need a better Heatsink. On my Mobo A7N8X the Barton 2500+ runs at 2415MHz(11,5*210) and 1.88 Volts. Temp at full load (Seti@home) is 46°C with a Zalman CNPS 7000A-Cu. I think this Heatsink is a little bit better than the SLK 900 U.;)

my falcon rock w/sf2 does 43C idle (200x12 @ 1.8V) but the load temps go up to 58C so i imagine the performance is probably similar between the two...but i would have to go with the slk800/900 hs's for an upgrade...the sk7's pretty good for under $20.....if you don't wanna buy a new hs, then get a better fan.

Jarhead7236 said:
this is true but he's still have to buy another fan w/the sk7....

Oh I thought the SK7 came with a fan, my bad....

Still i don't think he'll get alot performance from that heatsink. In the long run he'd be better off getting a new HS.

YviE

Back