• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

athlon 64 3dmark tests

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

Quad damage got his hands on a single channel athlon 64 on a via chipset msi motherboard, and I must say the results are more then impressive. At stock 2ghz with an ati 9800pro also stock he got over 20k from 3dmark 2001!

http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19317

http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum...ber=2752953&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

compare:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6972333

I can't wait to see how the 2.2ghz version will do. It really seems like these things can overclock fairly high if they have a high multiplier. I also liked the fact that the processor never went over 39 degreese with aircooling. :D

i like what i'm seeing....

even in 32-bit it'll make sense for me to move to an a64 once it gets more affordable, purely for the gaming/3d performance

sure other benchmarks show that the a64 fails behind where raw clock cyles are needed.... but personally i only use my computer for e-mail, IM, web surfing, and games....with a bit of graphics/photo/video development/editing on the side...

and of course having x86-64 apps come out if a64's ever take off would be bonus

omg what a chip now i think intel got to come up with something good lol hahaha intel fanboys :p jokin :)

that is a nice chip what would be be like at 3ghz :eek: :mad: :mad:

I think 3ghz with a prometia could be close if it was an engineering sample. (unlocked)

:drool:

AMD's have been unlocked ever since the late T-Bred's. Only Palomino's came fatory locked, but were easily unlockable as well. The Athlon 64's should be as well. ES Intel processors are the only Intel ones unlocked, but this doesn't apply to AMD's. 3.0ghz shouldn't even end up being too difficult for lower forms of cooling as well. I just knew people were being far too hasty in completely dismissing the Clawhammers.

"3.0ghz shouldn't even end up being too difficult for lower forms of cooling as well."

How you figure? I can see that maybe in later steppings but for now I don't see 3.0ghz happening on low end cooling.

overoptimism

None of the athlon64's or opterons I've heard of have been locked. Every time a "higher speed" version is released it overclocks higher, not due to it being a better process, but it has a higher multi. The way I figure the memory controller or something else does'nt like high fsb's.

There was alot of shock a while back in finnish hardware pages about somebody only getting an opteron up to 2.2ghz using ln2. The next thing we hear of is somebody doing the same with air. It does'nt look to me like the processor is the bottleneck. If he's managing 2.4ghz now without adding alot to the voltage, I'm comfortable thinking that an engineering sample with ln2 could possibly break 3ghz.

/overoptimism

I'd very doubtful if AMD suddenly started locking their processors. I think you're just being pessimistic. :D The inability could be for a multitude of reasons. The boards could be primitive, and simply not allow it- yet, or perhaps, very, very low likelihood of this, they are locked from the factory, in which case pin/bridge connections should be possible to unlock them. Its too early to speculate too much, though, methinks. If their steppings are as good as T-Breds, 3 ghz with a Prometeia should be possible, with LN2, 3.5ghz could happen. But I'm expecting these steppings already to be better than anything else before them. For starters, they're beginning at 2.0ghz. Notice how much headroom the current lowest, the 1700+, offers? I'm expecting the Clawhammers to offer nearly the same. I mean, it reaches 2.4ghz on stock cooling. Ever seen any other proc do that?

It looks like when he dropped the RAM down to 333 he was able to get the processor up to 2.4ghz, so it's either the RAM can't handle it or the memory controller...

dropadrop said:
overoptimism

None of the athlon64's or opterons I've heard of have been locked. Every time a "higher speed" version is released it overclocks higher, not due to it being a better process, but it has a higher multi. The way I figure the memory controller or something else does'nt like high fsb's.

There was alot of shock a while back in finnish hardware pages about somebody only getting an opteron up to 2.2ghz using ln2. The next thing we hear of is somebody doing the same with air. It does'nt look to me like the processor is the bottleneck. If he's managing 2.4ghz now without adding alot to the voltage, I'm comfortable thinking that an engineering sample with ln2 could possibly break 3ghz.

/overoptimism

The secret to the Athlon64 is Silicon On Insulator technology. When properly done, even with 130nm, running at well OVER 3GHz will be a piece of cake with the Athlon64. The reason for overclocking being such an issue is currently do to the lack of dividors in the Opterons that allow the FSB to operate more than twice the memory speeds. At 900MHz FSB, most memory become saturated making overclocking almost impossible. Even DDR533 GEIL is not cutting it simply because the Opteron platform uses much more aggressive timings over the old AthlonXP architecture.

The Athlon64 FX-52 (2.20GHz) should hit 2.60GHz like a breeze and standard air cooling. I can almost bet a ton of money on it :)

OC-Master

Gautam said:
The boards could be primitive, and simply not allow it- yet,

I had allready asked a couple of guys who had opteron boards, and somehow I was under the understanding that they said multi adjustment does'nt work. I just found one of the old posts, and actually he mentioned "there is no multi adjustment in the bios".

Suddenly I'm a bit more optimistic again :D

Anything below $500 is fine with me. I wonder only if these CPUs will be available to get. AMD has got quite a few paper releases recently and some are talking that these CPUs won't be really ready for retail sale before 2004.

Back