• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need so help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thebankdog

Registered
OK here is the deal my CPU is starting to run hot, and it kinda lags when I'm trying to do things, it does not freeze or crash just lags and sometimes it lags to the extreme, 42C which is hot for my machine (shuttle ak-31 and duron 1gh). Now I'm a freshmen in college and I'm in my dorm room which is moderatly warmer then at home. I have opend my case and put my fan in front of it, I have a sid eand back fan in my case.Any help would be great.

50-55c is the average temp of duron CPU's with the default cooler and they will not have a performance decrease at these temps, its when they get to 65c+ that u will see problems so its gotta be something else

use these sytem tools in programs to clean up all the junk laging you:
defrage, scan disk (both), disk clean up (select every thing),
go in to c:/ windows and delete every thing from the temp, temporary internet files, history and cookies, delete it all!!!!!!!!!!
and get ride of all the stuff you dont need in the start menu on the desk top and the programs get look in add remove programs.
if this doesnt work format the harddrive.
you might have a viris you cant deteckt so dont save things and re add them after formating the hd.

That is not because of a chip overheating. Has your system recently started doing this? Do you know for sure that 38C is higher than temps you would normally have or did you just recently start checking the temp of the CPU?

Not that I think this is your problem, but just an experience of mine...
My motherboard has that auto shutdown at a certain temperature feature. I had it set for 60C. One day my processor hit 60 and everything started lagging like crazy. The system was trying to shutdown... but wasn't(some good that feature did, pfft).

Back