• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400 OCing problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I am posting here but am not really sure if it is my processor or motherboard.
I have an AMD Tbred 2400+ on an A7n8X mobo with 512 mb Kingston PC2700 RAM and a TT Volcano 11 heatsink/fan. the problem is that whenever I set my multipier above 12.5 it subtracts 9 from the multiplier so a multipler of 13 acts as a multiplier of 5. currently i have the multipier set at 12.5 so as to oc to a 2600. Could someone tell me how to change my BIOS/mobo/cpu so that I can get the higher multipliers and tell me why it is subtracting 8 from the high multipliers

You might have to set the multiplier manually by modding the brigdes at multiers over 12 and then set the multiplier on the bios to auto.

They are. 2400+ uses multis 12.5 - 18 normaly. defaults to 133x15.

one option is to close the LAST L3 bridge on the chip and see if that corrects the problem. first set the motherboard to 133 FSB and see if the multipliers work normaly. If they do then close that one bridge.

Another somewhat safer option is to see if the system will run at 12x180. If your memory can handle it that'll give you the same OC in MHz and yeild a bit better performance when compaired to the xp2600+. Frankly running your FSB as high as the memory will allow is the way to go even if you have to give up a bit on the CPU core speed to have it.

YviE said:
High multis weren't available on my XP2400+, but i think that's just the mobo (KT333).

YviE

I'm sure it was your mobo causeing that. the KT333 showed up before AMD started useing CPU multipliers above 12.5 if I recall correctly. My KT400 mobo has access to multipliers 5 - 18 with every Tbreb/Barton CPU I tried in it so far. In order to get the system to even try to POST at 166 FSB with a 133FSB Tbreb-B I had to close the last L3 bridge.

when I stared the defalt setting was 133 memory frequency with a 15x multiplier and it ran at 2 Ghz so I no that the 15x multipier at least should work but when reset the bios to see if the high multipliers would work than my computer starded up at 700 MHZ so apparently something has changed, but I dont know what.

AKULA said:

I'm sure it was your mobo causeing that. the KT333 showed up before AMD started useing CPU multipliers above 12.5 if I recall correctly.

Yeah, must be. I put a little wire into the socket that connects 2 pins. Now i have all the multis from 5x to 12.5x.

YviE

AKULA said:

I'm sure it was your mobo causeing that. the KT333 showed up before AMD started useing CPU multipliers above 12.5 if I recall correctly.

Yeah, must be. I put a little wire into the socket that connects 2 pins. Now i have all the multis from 5x to 12.5x.

YviE

Thanx for the link. I remember having done some wire trick in order to unlock my 2400+. Now i've got all multis from 5x - 12.5x.

YviE

Last edited:
Back