• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transform AMD Duron Into AMD Athlon XP CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhantomOSX2

Registered
I'm sure that some of you have found out about this from Overclockers.ru or xbitlabs but if not here's an explanation followed with a question of mine:

Lock the L2 bridge that isn't locked on the Duron processor by using the pencil trick, solder, conductive ink, etc. Once you do that the processor should then have an L2 cache of 256 KBs. Some Durons are stable with it, some are not. One person had to disable the L2 cache for his system to not crash. "The Duron processors 1.60GHz with 266MHz EV-6 FSB and functional 256KB L2 performs as fast as the AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (1600MHz, 266MHz FSB) chips that have 256KB of L2 by default."

The problem is I have a 1.2Ghz Duron Morgan and it contains no L2 bridges, so does anyone have a clue of how to do the above on it? Extra L2 cache would be nice. :cool:

this is for the new (read -unreleased as yet) durons to come, the only older durons that (supposedly) had bridges for this mod were the mobile durons in laptops, they were just mobile athlons with cache disabled

I wonder is a similar mod would turn a barton into a regular t-bred (256kb L2). I know, I know, why waste the cache? I was thinking the larger area would act like a heat spreader without the extra cache contributing to the generation of heat. hmmm maybe a 2.4ghz tbred would Idle at 30c on air. :eek:

Back