• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

ok i am buying a new CPU next week cause i sold my current 2000+ and was wondering what to get id like to be able to do 220 FSB and would also like to be able to hit 2500mhz without any mods. i looked at the database and 2100+ seems to do allright. id like a barton just for the extra cache but they dont seem to o/c aswell as the T-breds at the moment. 2100+ will be a little hard for me to get so are 2200+ any good? also what stepping do u guys reccomend for a 2100+ or 2200+? thanks

hmm ok i just had a lok at the price lst at my local stores and it seems i can only get 2000+ 2200+ 2400+ 2500+ 2600+ 2800+ so which one should i get and remember i would like to get 220 FSB and possible 2500mhz out of it without any mods or prometia cooling

well, 2500mhz is hard on the best air, with the best stepping. with a barton i would expect 2.2ish, and with a tbred maby2.3ish. of your choices i would look for a newer 2500+ barton stepping or an aiuhb 2200+

well my air cooling is not an issue. my 2000+ 215x11 @ 2.10v right now is sitting on 38c my air setup will allow better cooling than most. the 2500+ has problems getting up to 200 FSB dont they? i have read a few posts that you have to change it to 266 FSB to make it get ast 200 FSB

2500 MHz on a no name power supply, Ich don't think so.
What is the brand of your PC2700? PC2700 is 166 FSB

220 FSB may be tough with it. You want 220 FSB and 2.5? Let's be realistic, maybe 2.4?

First of all this is the thing that will half way guarantee you 220 FSB:
twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html

Forget 2200+, it's Barton 2500+ with all copper Thermalright SK-7
http://www.svcompucycle.com/thersk7socco.html

but really, you may need this for those extra MHz:
http://www.case-mod.com/store/produ...70&PHPSESSID=933f9f2221f62429b1f73928d8b408ec

Also, you may need ceramique applied like this:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

ok my PSU is definatly not an issue at this point but it will be getting upgraded to one of those 550watt truepower things i think they are antec. correct me if im wrong. now my air cooling i have volcano 11+ with another smart fan II on the side of the case blowing cool air on it and my ambient temp here is 20c so that helps also then i have 2 smart fans at the back and 1 smart fan at front aswell as another 2 80mm fans blowing in (my bottom 2 5 1/4 bays have a 80mm fan) i also have arctic silver goop and some other ceramic stuff i picked up the other day. my RAM is just OEM 333mhz crap but im borrowing some corsair at the moment and when i buy my new CPU i will be buying some good RAM probly mushkin 3500. have some faith in my abilitys. if i get a CPU that can do 2500mhz i will make it do it even with AIR cooling and no mods i have a pretty decent setup. these thermalright heatsinks maybe good but i think thermaltake volcanos setup right can do pretty good also and im going to do it with thermaltake and not follow the crowd on thermalright. i just need reccomendations of what CPU can do it. or a link to a place that has CPU's that have been o/c like the CPU database here and then ill research further. thanks

We're with you.

1. This is the RAM that will get you to 220 FSB:
twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html

It has a proven track record of getting to 220 FSB regardless of its specs.

Congratulations on a decision to get a better power supply.

2. Forum members tested Thermalright vs. Thermaltake extensively.
There is no maybe about this one. You will have better overclocking results with Thermalright. This is not a matter of style. It is a f-a-c-t that you will have lower OC results if you stay with Thermaltake.

Go with Barton 2500+ because its double cache is worth 100 T-Bred MHz

You have the mobo to take you sky high so Good Luck we're rooting for you.

well even though i want to go all out and get the maximum o/c possible i dont exactly have $100au to buy the thermalright heatsink even if i wanted to. and i also dont wanna risk my mobo snapping in half cause of the weight. my PC get transported alot so the lighter the better. and the main thing is i wanna do a great o/c on a tight budget and also not have exactly the same thing as everyone else. hence y i am standing by my thermaltake stuff. but about najuary next year i will be looking into some LN2 cooling cause i have 2 friends at college that can buy the stuf for $1 a litre and we are all gonna put some money to see what we can do. as for getting an o/c of 2500mhz i dont think it would be that hard with a 2100+ or 2200+ since my 2000+ is running 2480mhz rock solid and can boot into windows at 2560mhz but crash's before i can get a screenshot of it and that is with 2.1v and my temps are still not over 45c and considering i am happy aslong as im under 60c i think i could get a 2100+ or 2200+ past 2500mhz if its they are able to do it and from what i have seen the AIUHB is able to do it without to much hassle. getting a 2500+ past 2500mhz will be a whole new kettle of fish. guess im just gonna have to do some research on the current steppings available and see what grabs my attention as a possible new CPU

Your Location space was empty so there was no way to know you had no access to $15.99 Thermalright SK-7 which is almost as good as the most expensive Thermalrights.

The only thing about going above 1.8 Vcore (and this is being discussed more & more) the max OC will not be as high over time. It's jut not recommended any more to go with Vcore as high as 1.95 let alone 2.1

so basically if i run at 2.0v for a month or 2 my max overclock will drop by say 50mhz or 100mhz? and over a long period itll drop by more like say 200-400mhz?

I don't know where you got those numbers and yes some people don't care if their chips go out faster or not but the big picture is: Yes, you do 2.1 volts on permanent bases and your CPU will not overclock as high as it could after you first put that much voltage through it. I'd say the amount of time would vary each time but we're talking months not years.

Gautam said:
....Although the percentage increase in each is the same, voltage is a squared factor for heat dissipation. I'm positive that 2v is too much even for a DUT3C. 1.95v may very well be also. The risk doesn't justify the usage of voltages that high...

Back