• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga 8ipe1000 pro overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You shouldnt need any program to overclock. I think its easier to do from the BIOS. ( BIOS is were the adjustments are made anyway ) The board should have came with Easy Tune though, if you want to try it. Its on the software part of the OEM disk.

One of the first things I did was to go into BIOS and lock the AGP/PCI frequency to 66/33mhz. ( good idea since you are using a PCI sound card ) Another tip, by pressing ctrl+F1 in the BIOS, it opens more features. ( such as memory timings ) You should be able to add a few mhz to the FSB without any big problems, as long the CPU is cool.

I was able to change from 133mhz FSB to 160mhz ( 2.53 at 2.98 ) with out much hassle. I have a core voltage increase left, so im sure it can be higher than that still. I hope this helps some. Good luck.

this is exactly what i was hoping for.... thanks SO much.... if i have any other problems ill either post here or PM you, if thats ok....

p.s. i really like ur avatar... i emailed it to my brother and he also thought it was hilarious :)

haha. yeh, pm me or post em in here, thats cool. someone will help.

If you are going to try using a SATA HDD, you might want to flash the BIOS to the F7d (beta) version. The F6 BIOS wont boot from SATA0. Other than that, and incorrect temp readings in BIOS, I havent had too many problems with this board. Let me know if your CPU temps seem too cool. Mine says its at 25c, I know thats not right. ( well, i guess it is possible, i just have a hard time beleiving that ) Good luck.

yeah i have a led on the front of my case that has a temp probe that i put in the case too and both of them (i have the mobo hooked into it too) show ~35C temps.... i dont think the hdd im getting is SATA... but im not positive.

what are the benefits of a SATA drive anyways?

At this point, not much other than a smaller cable. It is planned to replace ATA drives in a few years. I seem to be getting good perfomance from my SATA so I am pretty happy with it. I just wish this board supported SATA RAID. But thats just me dreaming, I need to get the water system done before I worry about that stuff. If you want to check out some HDD speeds there is a post in the storage section with a bunch of tests on all kinds of different HDDs.

update: i lowered some of the #s for the RAM timings, lowered the RAM fsb, raised my cpu voltage, raised my RAM voltage by .1, and raised my fsb to 255.... currently running at 3.07GHz (2.4 stock)... running prime95 now to determine stability.......

ran sandra's benchmarking programs and my stuff did REALLY well... my hynix 1gb ddr400 running at a little less than that had really high marks, as did my cpu, and that was when it was at a bit over 2.8GHz... all on stock intel hsf :D

I got nice performance increase from my timings too.

Just curious, this is all on a stock intel heatsink? What are your temps? My BIOS seems way off.

yeah its on the stock intel hsf.... my temps seem to be too low... no more than 30 load.... when i get my watercooling rig ill put the lcd temp probe on the cpu and get the REAL temps.... im pretty sure the motherboard has a common temp reporting problem.

*edit* im also now running at 3.27GHz

I would watch the OCing. I have temp sensor between the heat spreader and the CPU die on my P4 ( i took it apart and epoxied the sensor to the die plus filled ( with AS epoxy ) the air void between the die and heat spreader ). With the stock heat sink i was getting to 50c with NO OC. I used a Volcano 7+ for a while, it was in getting to 55c with mild OC. Now ( water cooled ) i can OC to the max and am getting to around 37c load. All of these have an idle around 28c. ( 30c stock )

I just thought this might be usefull, since we both think the temp sensor on this board is wrong. ( i have tried this cpu on other boards and the sensor worked fine )

Good luck. Nice OC by the way.

thx.... i tried putting my temp sensor on the cpu (b/t the cpu and the hsf, and i was getting 100C temps on that and like 60 with the mobo monitor... probably because of the fact that the temp sensor made a gap)... now my lcd temp probe says a constant 100C even though i took it off.... wonder why that is.

on the stock intel hsf ive reached a max of 276fsb but i dont know what my temps are, because of the fact that all the sensors are off :(

hopefully SSS mailed my watercooling rig today so i can maybe have it together by friday.

you said there's an air void b/t the die and heat spreader? im not sure i understand what u mean by that...

I take it your cpu still works?

Putting the temp sensor between the heatsink and the heat spreader is a very bad idea. Your right, it makes a huge gap. I am kind of supprised it worked at all at those temps. I am guessing the Intel heatsink crushed the temp sensor. Does the sensor stay at 100c with no heatsink attached?

I actully took apart my P4. The metal ( you see ) on top of the P4 is a "heat spreader." Underneath it looks pretty much like an AMD chip. The actully cpu heatsink is only .5in x .5in underneath the heat spreader. So there is an air pocket around the area where the heatsink makes contact with the heat spreader. After I expoxied a temp sensor to the cpu die (next to the smaller cpu heatsink) I then epoxied the heat spreader back onto the cpu die ( over the temp sensor and heatsink ).

yes my cpu still works... and yes the temp sensor stays at 100C even away from the cpu :(

i dont think im going to be taking apart my processor any time soon, unless its 100% going to work like a charm afterwards :-/

also, did you epoxy the heatspreader ontop of the heat sink, or just on top of the temp sensor and under the heat sink?

This is not advised. But I took a razor and cut the heat spreader off the cpu. On the P4 the heat spreader is held on by silicone ( or something like that ). The heat spreader is the 1.5in x 1.5in metal you see on the top of the P4. Underneath that is the CPU heatsink ( .5in x .5in ). There is a small amount of thermal paste between the cpu heatsink and the heat spreader. The rest is open air space, so there is a gap around the cpu heatsink between the heat spreader ( except for the .5in section ). I epoxied the sensor to the actual cpu die, next to the ( .5 x .5 ) cpu heatsink. Then after it was dry, I filled the heat spreader with epoxy and pressed ( under pressure ) the 1.5in heat spreader back on to the cpu die. So now I have a sensor permanently imbedded "in" the cpu as close as possible to the source of the heat. I know that the layer of AS epoxy ( around the cpu heatsink ) is rather think, but I figure it has to be better than dead air.

The temp change was minimal ( maybe -1*c ), but now I have a true CPU temp. NO secound guessing. When I open a program, say IE, it raises ( around 8*c ) for about one secound, then it drops back down. I mean instantly!

All of this has nothing to do with the heatsink attached to the motherboard. I think Im wrong on the 1.5in stuff. I think its actully 1.25in. I dont have a tape measure in front of me though.

I am pretty sure my BIOS temps are way off. It kind of sounds like yours are too, so I wouldnt trust the BIOS temps in the versions that are out so far ( ive tried both ). Better safe then sorry.

I have gotten better test results ( in cpu performance ) by changing the memory timings than just overclocking. Now my tests are much better, at a much lower FSB. Memory performance is a big part of CPU performance.

"This is my opinion and my not be expressed by others"

How exactly do you "lock" the AGP\PCI speed? I have a p4 1.6 that I'm trying to overclock to 2.1 but my machine locks up everytime I increase the bus speed. Also, should I be change the CPU core coltage? It's at 1.5v right now.

Thanks

Locking your PCI/AGP depends on your BIOS settings. Look around in there.
As far as locking up~ could be any number of things. Might be your memory can't take it and yo uneed to use a devider.

IF you over-volt the vcore, be very careful. How much you can overvolt depends on the Processor. But it's been said that 10-15% over stock is the MAX you should go in general.

There are alot of variables in overclocking. Spend some time reading and when you ask these type of technical questions, provide some detail about yor rig and cooling method. Good luck!

Back