• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsm_mike

Hello all, I am in the (slow) process of building up a new system. All I have right now is the MB and the case, but here is a list of what I plan on putting in it. Please let me know what you think, where I can improve, etc.

MB : DFI Lan Party NForce 2 Ultra 400
CPU : xp2500+ or xp2800+ (which would you recommend?)
Heatsink: slk-900a w/92mm Tornado
Memory: At least 512mb (which brand is better ie compatible with my mb?)
PSU: 500w (Not sure which brand yet.
Case: Raidmax (cant remember what it is called, it looks like the dragon case)

I apoligise for the n00bish question and thanks for your replies.

Mike

Hey Mike, you're off to a good start, this forum exists among other things for exactly the kind of q's you ask.

nForce2 mobo check, 2500+ overclocks about the same as 2800+ but costs half the price, heatsink check, that fan is going to be really loud, you OK with that?

Memory: Best is twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html
It will allow you to go to 220 FSB which is more important than MHz

Be very careful with power supplies. They're very important.
Many PSU manufacturers list specs that do not reflect true capabilities of their products so all info on the PSU label doesn't mean much except for the brand, just look for the brand: All Antecs (Channel Well) are good (Antec True Power is better), Fortron (Sparkle), Sirtec (Enlight, Vantec, Thermaltake), or more expensive Herolchi (Herolchi), PC Power and Cooling, C or not as good but not dangerous HEC, TTGI, Zalman (Aopen).

Last edited:
motherboard, the Abit NF7-S Rev-2.0 is a very nice board atm

thats if u can afford it

as for cpu, 2500+ is cheaper, not much diff really between 2800 and 2500

psu, just make sure the rails are good, i like the antec 430W true blue

case: well its personal choice on looks etc

memory: yea winbond ram tends to be the best for o/cin

anymore questons, just fire away :)

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. About the fan, I really dont mind the noise at all. Im thinking about going with the 80mm tornados for the case. Thanks for the tips about the memory, I will definitly look into it. As for the psu, I kinda had a feeling that those "house brand" psu's that were advertised at 600w or whatever werent really putting that out. You get what you pay for I guess. I will probably go with an antec true 550 then. I work for a computer repair shop so I can get my parts at cost. At least I can spend a little more to get a quality part. Thanks for your help, any other suggestion?

PS. Any idea what kind of temps I will be seeing using this heatsink/fan with a 2500 oc'd to the level of a 3200?

Last edited:
Mmmm Multiple Tornados in a case??? Have you ever heard one of those in action? I would describe the noise level of _one_ as borderline unbearable. Multiple tornados would be close to... being in a room full of vacuum cleaners on full blast. But, if don't mind the noise... your cooling will be otherwise excellent. May be consider a fan controller just in case.

Definitely get the 2500 over the 2800, they are cheaper and most likely will do 3200+ speeds at stock voltage (mine does it at 1.6V). Also. count another vote for the Abit NF7-S board, they are bulletproof, and have all the overclocking features you could ask for.

You are on the right track as far as RAM and PSU goes.

Good luck.

Well, I picked up a 2500+ from work today. AQXEA 0331 stepping. I think Ive read on here that it is a good stepping. I think I will spring for the memory next.

AMD Athlon XP1700+
Abit NF7-S v2 nforce2 motherboard, with SATA raid
2x 60gb 7200rpm 2mb Western Digital HDD's
FIC ATI Radeon 9700pro
512mb stick of Kingston HyperX pc3500 cas2
512mb stick of Corsair XMS pc3200 cas2
BTC 16x DVD Rom
Sony CRX215a1 48x24x48 cd burner
3.5 inch floppy
US Robotics Gaming Modem
Antec SL350 Power Supply
NetGear 10/100 Lan card
Antec Performance II Workstation Tower Case
Dtek TC-4 Waterblock
Clearflex tubing
Dtek Heatercore
Swiftech MCP300 Water Pump
2 Red LED 120mm fans
Purple Ice coolant

Insteada posting a couple of para's I'll just post what I got and say it works real good. It works real good.

Back