• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap cooling - with pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

ok couple days ago i was asking about cheap cooling for my video card and in the end i just strapped on a OEM 2000+ HSF with zip ties and cut up a heatsink for my RAM and heres the pics of it.. sorry bout the poor quality but the pics where taken from my room mates web cam. i spend to much money on my rig to buy anything else
top.jpg

ok heres the top down veiw where u can see the zip ties holding it on and the RAM heatsinks which i stuck on with double sided tape that came with my RAM cooling kit
hsf.jpg

this is the bottom veiw where u can kinda get the idea of what it is with the HSF hanging off the card
b.jpg

here is a crappy look at my rig. it looks alot better with the side on cause it hides alot of the cables but the side was giving off to much reflections
frontbay.jpg

here is my front bay project that im working on now to provide better cooling. its an old PSU cut in half and the guts riped out. having the 80mm fan in here drop case temps by about 4c and CPU temps by about 3c not much but every bit helps. i am going to add another USB port to it a temp gauge hopefully

4.jpg

and last but not least the beat in full my baby..

so whats everyone think of it

they work for me :/
Nice job btw, i like that PSU idea, although i dont know why you didnt just mount the fan in there. dont see the need for having half a psu in there also :/.
Also, if its merely zip tied on, is it really on there firmly enough? i highly recommend thermal epoxy of some sort, hell even super glue. i just use generic epoxy that came with my zalman northbridge heatsink.
When i get my pics uploaded i shall post in here.

the zip ties are on damn tight.. i made sure and i have been inspecting it every few hours to make sure its not falling off.. it makes 100% contact with the GPU from what i see on the side.. the idea of the hlaf a PSU was to have a face there rather than an open hole with a fan i wanted it to be practical and sexy it was just the 1st step to see if it looked any good and it does so now im going to do another one but but more effort into it.. oh and i didnt want to glue the HSF incase i need to return the card for warranty and its just temporary untill i can afford good water cooling or something better than the HSF

Back