• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dear God, What Have I done!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Empireking01

Registered
I upgraded the stock cooling on my Barton 2500+ to a Vantec Tornado 80mm fan and a Thermalright SK-7 heatsink. My idle temp right now is 43C. On the stock cooling, the idle temp was around 51C. The decrease in temp is NOT worth the noise (which is driving me crazy right now, maybe ill get used to it in a few hours). Is this the decrease in temp most people get, 8C?? Im using AS3 applied thinly with plastic bag, and the fan is blowing at the CPU. Im about to pull my hair out give me one reason I should keep this damn fan!

GameFAQsRolo said:
Even with a fan controller the sucker is still going to be kinda loud(I'll assume 7v). (then again, I spoil myself with quiet fans so I'm biased as to what is loud).

i should accurately measure the dbA of my comp some day... its estimated (based on fan ratings) to be at a around 55dbA when running... and yes, I CAN sleep with it on less than 10 feet away :p

if you cant take the noise get one of those smartfan II's, heard good stuff about them in that respect.

*edit* temp difference from now->stock cooling was about 15-20C

idle before 53C
idle now 35C.. sometimes as low as 30C (even with faster proc)

Last edited:
Ok I put back my old 3200 stock fan, and the idle temp is now 57C. The Thermalright SK-7 is still on there, but im getting worse temps then with the stock heatsink. Something HAS to be wrong (dont tell me I just wasted $35 on nothing)

if thats the case you may not have perfect contact between CPU and HS, or maybe not an good thin layer of thermal compund on cpu die and HS.

:( Ill give it a 24 hour burn in test and see what happens. Im still recovering from that damn fan noise.....

Man are you sure you put the heat sink on correctly? Those temps arent right, also you may want to try a little thicker coating despite what some people say you can have to thin of a coating. Make sure you are applying the as3 to the sink and not the proc.

schismspeak said:
Man are you sure you put the heat sink on correctly? Those temps arent right, also you may want to try a little thicker coating despite what some people say you can have to thin of a coating. Make sure you are applying the as3 to the sink and not the proc.

thin coating and I apply it to both... which you should do to ensure complete coverage. since is possible to miss if just on HS

Maybe its because I had to use strawberry scented nail polish remover instead of alchohol to clean the CPU. Ill wait till tomorrow so I can get rubbing alcohol and try again with a very thin layer on both the heatsink and core.

Thanks. Now...are rheostats easy to install? I dont wanna end up wasting $8 (damn $6 shipping) and realize I cant use it because I need to solder stuff and its too complicated. Oh, and will this rheostat be able to bring the voltage low enough (6v)?

A vantec n00b, you'll either get use to it, or go insane...it's so funny to hear how loud i have my TV on when i turn my computer off lol.

If i could do it again i'd buy a smart fan II

Back