• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best P4 heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I'm planning on jumping to the P4 bandwagon and I'd like to know which heatsink will give me the best performance. From my understanding the stock HSF will do just fine but I'd like one that will take it the extra mile.

CNPS7000Cu for excellent performance with low noise, SLK-900 for slightly better (after 6 hours of lapping) performance with slightly higher noise (expect to buy sand paper with this one), MCX 4000 for more noise, more cost, less performance.

Swiftech MCX-4000...Mount you a nice 92m/m Pansonic Panflo and you are in like Flint...Easier to clean versus the Thermalright and just as good a performer...No lapping required...Excellent customer service...For P-4's they are easily my weapon of choice...:D

This is currently the top-ranked heatsink, even regardless of platform (478 only however).

I also highly reccomend the Zalman.

im not trying to be a monkey, but this looks a little mickey-mouse for connecting to the board??

35-118-109-03.JPG

CNPS7000U ^

im very new to P4's though so I might be being a monkey without realizing it!

the zalman is a nice choice cuz its very quiet, even at its highest setting. i would vote again for a Swiftech but then again you could go right for water cooling

I've yet to use it...but

mcx462-vx400.jpg

+

backside.jpg

+

90ELHB49_bg.jpg

=

you a very nice cooling solution.

It is actually a very solid mounting system, believe it or not. I own one, and it was a little bit weird to install. You must tilt the cooler to one side, get the screw started a bit, and then push it down on the processor and screw in the other side. It really was a downer to put that thing straight on the P4 and see that the screws didn't even reach the mechanisms! Zalman's installation flash movie doesn't show how much you really must tilt it.

Also a little quirk about the CNPS-7000Cu: its extrememly heavy, more than 300grams over Intel specs. You're not going to want to LAN or move your computer (we're talking car ride) with that cooler on. I got the 7000AlCu due to this problem, but I took a little bit of a performance spike in the process.

The 7000Cu is an exceptional cooler and is exceptionally quiet, I love it. If you plan to take your computer around alot, I'd go SLK series or with the Swifty due to its mounting thru-board.

ah gracias for heads-up on that. The comp will be moved quite a bit as it is a 'show' comp. Those two little arms to mount it just look weak (especially knowing that it is that heavy lol). I like the 4-hole through-the-board mount system that the MCX/SLK ones have.

never seen this new heatpipe before either...

right now, since there are no reviews on the new swifty im gonna go with zalman for quiet, sp-94/ slk 900 for preformance and noise depending on fan. my guess is soon what bluestreakLB said is going to be some decent competition :D

stan03 said:
right now, since there are no reviews on the new swifty im gonna go with zalman for quiet, sp-94/ slk 900 for preformance and noise depending on fan. my guess is soon what bluestreakLB said is going to be some decent competition :D

I can see the logic there but on the other hand thats almost like saying "i would pre-order the new ferrari but i dont know if it's fast or not"

All three Swiftech, Thermalright and the zalman are good heatsinks, however if your gonna move it a lot you should seriously consider the Swiftech. The Thermalright tends to eventually unseat itself when moved a lot while the Swiftech is rock solid. Not sure about the zalman.

All the MCX heatsinks have the same housing set up.
From the Swiftech homepage. Sure it’s a biased test but still is impressive.
"Crash tests were conducted by repeatedly dropping a case equipped with an MC462 heatsink, which uses the same retention mechanism, from the roof of a second story building. The heatsink remained securely attached to the processor, and the processor didn't suffer any damage."

They got photos showing the case all f@cked up after the test.

Not sure why that guy up top thinks one heatsink is quieter than another if you use the same low RPM fan on both. Also who on earth could lap something for 6 hours?

It is actually a very solid mounting system, believe it or not. I own one, and it was a little bit weird to install. You must tilt the cooler to one side, get the screw started a bit, and then push it down on the processor and screw in the other side. It really was a downer to put that thing straight on the P4 and see that the screws didn't even reach the mechanisms! Zalman's installation flash movie doesn't show how much you really must tilt it.

Yeah I had the same experience, I was scared to death that I was crushing my cpu when I installed my Zalman...you have to tilt it a lot and push pretty darn hard down on it to get it screwed in.

If weight is a concern you can get the Al-Cu version- that's what I'm using and its great so far.

Back