• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 146 spanking P4 to its knees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah but its expensive as all hell =/ if they can drop the price to P4 levels and you can OC them, then there will be intrest otherwise i dont want an opteron id rather get a P4 if its cheaper and OCs better and yeah there is an article on the front page about OCing the opteron but id like to see more successful OCs...

The Opteron competes with the Xeon, which is already about double its price. The Athlon FX and 64 will compete with the P4, and will definitely be cheaper. I'd expect typical AMD prices, with earth-shattering performance.

yeah thats what im worried about, is the prices on the 64s, i really doubt they'll get em cheap =/ and on newegg a 2ghz opteron is $830 and a 3.06ghz xeon is $479 and a p4 3.2 is $624 and thats a huge huge difference an added 206 above the p4. and the opteron is supposed to be the athlon 64 in the beginning, a server chip. doubt they are gonna lower prices much, oh well have to wait and see...

and whats this about a xeon being double the opteron's price? i dont get that

the Athlon FX is supposed to be just about as fast with its dual channels...i wouldn't buy a 64 though (even though they are benchmarking remarkabley well)

AMD has finally brought out something to compete with the Pentium 4 (and it only took a year)...can't wait till the prices drop on these babies

If you're looking for top notch gaming, the A64 will be an intel killer. You need a prommy to get an intel chip past 4ghz, and thats what you're going to need to compete with this.

P4 setup + prommie > A64 Setup

This is a single channel ram a64 setup. What if you go with a dual channel operton?

Thats my take on it. :)

I was blowing A64 off for a bit as i didn't think the performance deserved the price, but the link below has me saving up for A64.

Go here for more info.

Quote from above mentioned link-

Quad Damage Writes:

"well my friend, you don't have to tell me what P4C/CW can do as i posted an Intel 3D score on ORB which is also on the first page. As i said earlier, to attain 24757 3D marks i needed 4100mhz at 1.85v running at -37C and 292fsb using Dual Channel DDR, Prometeia VPC cooling charged with R404a refrigerant. Rather extreme don't ya think? Now show me Intel chip able to get close to this score on air cooling.
btw, Prescott 3.4Ghz might produce well over 100w of heat at stock clocks and voltage, so you better start saving up and get some VPC cooling"

onx said:
yeah thats what im worried about, is the prices on the 64s, i really doubt they'll get em cheap =/ and on newegg a 2ghz opteron is $830 and a 3.06ghz xeon is $479 and a p4 3.2 is $624 and thats a huge huge difference an added 206 above the p4. and the opteron is supposed to be the athlon 64 in the beginning, a server chip. doubt they are gonna lower prices much, oh well have to wait and see...

and whats this about a xeon being double the opteron's price? i dont get that

You're comparing an old processor to the latest and greatest. Furthermore, the Opteron 246 completely crushes all Xeons. Even the $260 140 can be expected to deliever excellent performance.

Look at it this way: The current top of the line Barton 3200+ costs about $400. The Athlon64 3200+ is the lowest in the A64 line. Its going to almost definitely end up starting at $400 or below in this perspective. Prices will plummet even further once Prescotts and higher Clawhammers are released. I'd expect them to be very, very affordable by mid November, probably even earlier.

If you're looking for top notch gaming, the A64 will be an intel killer. You need a prommy to get an intel chip past 4ghz, and thats what you're going to need to compete with this.
Lol, you're gonna need more than a P4 at 4.0ghz to compete with what these Clawhammers easily can pull off on air. There is no competing with them, at least not as far as we know. The gap will increase further with the release of the dual channel Athlon FX. This lead is still greater than what the P4C's have over the current Athlons.

AHHHHHHH!!! Awsome I want a A64!....I am so stoked....I can't wait......is the A64 gunna have dual channel?....thanks for the info :D

Just one thing - this was a 146 not a 246 so the price for that on the AMD site is $669 - not too bad considering it has just been launched and probably similar (though I cant remember) to Barton XP3200 prices at launch. Anyway this is now one of many reviews showing the excellent gaming potential for the Opterons/A64. it would seem that the bandwagon is beginning to gain momentum - anyway ready to jump on? lol

If you're looking for top notch gaming, the A64 will be an intel killer.
I seriously doubt that. These kinds of statements we are listening for three years already, for all sorts of processors and yet Intel keeps its lion share of the market.

I think you'll see Prescott soon enough, perhaps even more available in retail than Athlon64.
I'll buy Athlon64 in few weeks. The only question I have is whether it will actually be available. The experience in the last year or two teaches me that AMD paper releases processors that is rather hard to find for few months after the "release."
Intel CPU is in the last two PCs I built for simple reason that I got tired of AMD hype while in reality it is all rather mediocre or unavailable. These two are faster PCs than any of my XPs, including the latest Barton I got.

For example I don't see 146 on sale anywhere, 246 is way too expensive (yeah, it might beat 3.2C but with an overclocked 2.4C or 2.6C I can beat them both, and that is $200 or less), motherboards are too expensive, and registered memory is more expensive as well, though not as bad.

Last edited:
Whatever, this line you take has become tiresome. Over the last two years exactly how many AMD paper launches have there been and how many Intel paper launches have there been? As for whether it is an Intel killer - maybe not but it is easily beating in gaming what Intel has to offer NOW.

Over the last two years exactly how many AMD paper launches have there been and how many Intel paper launches have there been? As for whether it is an Intel killer - maybe not but it is easily beating in gaming what Intel has to offer NOW.
Barton was a paper launch, XP T'bred (everyone of them) was a paper launch. Northwoods B and C appeared unannounced.
Hammer has been a general hype for the last three years, with all sorts of benchmarks.

You guys keep on drooling about that and yet you are all reduced on overclocked XP 1700 and XP 2500. That should already be ridiculous to all sane people. It is to me certainly.

It is safe to assume that 90+% of you will be still overclocking XPs this year and well into 2004 while Intel folks are already since this spring on Northwood Cs.

Every single Tbred was a paper launch? - what absolute bs - the Barton launches were paper launches - even more bs - want me to provide the links to disprove such a banal line of thought? Also if Opteron 146's already exist why would you think the A64 will not be on time?
Edit: Actually dont bother asking I will supply them anyway
http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/AMD/XP3000+/
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,32272,00.asp
For the second link check on the vr-zone database and you will see 0224 XP2200's - by my reckoning week 24 is June.
To my knowledge only 2 paper launches existed covering XP2400/2600 in one launch and then XP2700/2800 in another.

Last edited:
man i read that quad damage thing, holy crap that think is kickin, seems they are having some success OCIng it too, which rocks!

i stand corrected if they get the prices down like you say you think they will, a64 is gonna blow intel outta the water just like it was promised, i just lost faith with all the delays and stuff lol

me wants a a64 now :D

whatever2003 said:

I seriously doubt that. These kinds of statements we are listening for three years already, for all sorts of processors and yet Intel keeps its lion share of the market.

its not going to kill intel! but it may kill it in benchies :D most people buy intel regardless of preformance, hell they dont even know what the prefromance is! most ppl just think "3.0ghz > 2.5ghz" which can be true but not always :D Intel holds market share for a reason, and that reason isnt going to go away just because amd released a cpu thats better than what intel has...

Intel CPU is in the last two PCs I built for simple reason that I got tired of AMD hype while in reality it is all rather mediocre or unavailable. These two are faster PCs than any of my XPs, including the latest Barton I got.

Its funny to see how the fortunes of others are changing so fast before our very own eyes, AMD rocks, a little company that delievers. Huuuha:p

Back